VMware Communities
pacmania1982
Contributor
Contributor

Black screen with Windows logo - Windows 10 Creator Update

Hi all:

I'm running the latest VMware Fusion (8.5.6) on the latest version of macOS Sierra (10.12.4) with a 32 bit Windows 10 VM. I ran the anniversary update a few months back without issue. Now that the Creator Edition has been launched, I'm trying to update my VM to it. Rather than wait for it to be pushed out by Windows Update, I've downloaded the Microsoft Updater tool (Download Windows 10 ) which gets all the way to 100% then it reboots the VM, then gets stuck at a black screen with the Windows logo on. No spinning wheel or anything. I used the same tool to update a Windows 10 physical machine I have and that worked without issue.

I've left the VM in its current state for a few hours and it doesn't get past this stage. If you reboot the VM, it starts with the previous build of Windows and checking the event viewer or any log files doesn't seem to show any errors.

I've read that deleting the SVGA 3D driver helped in some cases, but from the reading, this was just for completely black screens. In any case, I've tried it and it hasn't made any difference.

I've enabled the local Administrator account and tried the update but get the same results.

vmware-vmx in Activity monitor on the Mac side shows its using 99.8% of the CPU, so clearly its trying to do something, but quite what I've no idea. Looking in Console also doesn't seem to show any errors.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Specs are as follows:

Physical machine:

Late 2014 Mac mini

2.6 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB Memory

250 GB SSD

Virtual Machine:

2 vCPU

4 GB Memory

100 GB virtual disk

Thanks

Rich

4 Replies
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi pacmania1982,

The graphic card of your Mac Mini late 2014 belongs to Intel broadwell family and there is a known display driver issues on MacOS 10.12.4, Fusion development team is working with Intel and Apple to solve this problem, in the meanwhile, I suggest you to keep your MacOS version up-to-date.

Regards,

-Rick

pacmania1982
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. Will do

0 Kudos
PeaceFreak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having a similar problem but I'm not getting the Windows logo, just a black screen and nothing else. Have left it for several hours and restarted a number of times but no change.

I'm running VM Fusion 7.1.3 on a MacBook Pro Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013, on a beta version of Sierra: 10.12.5 Beta (16F54b).

0 Kudos
PeaceFreak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I fixed this problem by reverting to a backup I had of the virtual machine prior to doing the update. Re-installed the Creators Edition and it worked!

0 Kudos