VMware Communities
Rizzo66
Contributor
Contributor

Black Screen with Fusion 7 and Catalina Beta

Does fusion 7 work with Catalina OS i've reinstalled and it still doesn't show up in the screen recording section of privacy. I can see the windows desktop till i start it out of suspended mode then screen goes black - all toolbars at the top appear though

8 Replies
dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Fusion 7 doesn't officially support OS X 10.11 El Capitan, let alone anything as recent as macOS 10.15 Catalina.

To run on Catalina you need Fusion 11.5. Even Fusion 11.0 through 11.1 don't work properly on Catalina.

Fusion 11.5 was a free update from Fusion 11, but you will need to pay for it if you are still on Fusion 7.

Rizzo66
Contributor
Contributor

THANK YOU !!

0 Kudos
JoelleChoueiry
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I am also still running Fusion 7 with Sierra, been avoiding all OS updates for the sake of fusion 7... however I am now experiencing a lot of slowdowns and contemplating the idea of Catalina... did you manage to run fusion 7?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You're already unsupported: VMware Knowledge Base

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
JoelleChoueiry
Contributor
Contributor

Right, does upgrading to fusion 11.5 transfer all my applications currently installed on fusion 7? will I need to install the apps all over again?

0 Kudos
JoelleChoueiry
Contributor
Contributor

can I simply open my VM using fusion 11.5 seamlessly?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Yes.  But there's some important steps:

- shut down the virtual machine (not suspend)

- back it up (not using time machine)

- remove any snapshots

- upgrade to catalina

- upgrade to Fusion 11.5.5

- launch the VM

- Upgrade the virtual hardware when prompted

- make sure vmware tools in the guest updates (reboots the guest)

0 Kudos
JoelleChoueiry
Contributor
Contributor

Did all the following with the exception of removing snapshots... I created a snapshot before backing up... will try again without snapshots THANKS SO MUCH!

0 Kudos