VMware Communities
pelican20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Biting my nails.. "The file specified is not a virtual disk."

HI VM community,

I am not an experience VM person. I have tried to solve this problem on my own, but after hours of searching this forum, I am humbly asking for your help... my lost vm machine has precious files on it.

I created two WinXP VM machines with VM fusion about two years ago, but haven't used either for more than a year. Recently I tried to open one, and got the error "The file specified is not a virtual disk." but the other machine works fine. Attached is the most recent log, and VMX file.

Please let me know if additional info is needed.

Suzanne

0 Kudos
20 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

To help figure out what is what the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop.

0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

Are both the vmdk files stored in the same location? are you able to distinguish which is working and which is not. There will be corresponding vmx file for each the vmdk's and you first check which one is having the problem...this maybe if vmdk is corrupt.

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
pelican20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick response. I've attached the TGZ file. And yes, both VM's live in the same folder. [drive/documents/users/user/virtual machines]

I do believe that the files were moved. An SSD was added to this computer, and the "Documents" folder was moved to another drive.

1. WinXP Compaq.vmwarevm
  2. Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm

1. is the VM with the error (the one that's needed)

2. is a simple XP bare bones machine created at the same time as the other.

I really appreciate your help guys.

Suzanne

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

for the first VM you need a bunch of files named like this one

"Compaq PC-00000*-s0**.vmdk"

for the second VM you need

"Windows XP Professional-s001.vmdk" - "Windows XP Professional-s021.vmdk"

do you still have those files ?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

1. WinXP Compaq.vmwarevm

Suzanne,

A year ago there was a folder in the root of the Macintosh HD named "Compaq PC" and this folder contained the original virtual hard disk "Compaq PC.vmdk" the "Disk DescriptorFile" and "Compaq PC-s001.vmdk" through "Compaq PC-s090.vmdk" the binary portion of the virtual hard disk of which could be anywhere from 320KB to 2GB in size for each segment.

You need to search your system for this folder "Compaq PC" or this file "Compaq PC.vmdk" the virtual hard disk and you can use Spotlight or if you don't mind using a Terminal use the following command.

mdfind "Compaq PC.vmdk"

Let us know.

Woody

0 Kudos
pelican20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

Yes, I found 91 files *.vmdk in folder: "/Volumes/Video Internal 1Tb/Compaq PC"

There's "Compaq PC.vmdk"

AND "Compaq PC-s001.vmdk" thru "Compaq PC-s090.vmdk"

The 91 files total 168GB.

I believe they were moved. Is that what caused this problem? If so, can it easily be remedied?

Thanks,

Suzanne

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry that was not correct... will be back shortly with the corrected reply.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Suzanne,

Lets take a different approach then I first suggested however I need a copy of the original virtual hard disk "Compaq PC.vmdk" the "Disk DescriptorFile" to make sure that the CID (Chain ID) is correct and then if you have the free space to copy the original virtual hard disk into the "WinXP Compaq.vmwarevm" Virtual Machine Document Package and I'll edit the following Snapshot Disk "Disk DescriptorFile" file to correct the value of the "parentFileNameHint" parameter.

Compaq PC-000001.vmdk

So attach a copy of the "Compaq PC.vmdk" file.

Don't do anything until I look at the file I'm asking for...

Also how much free space do you have on the external drives?

Woody

0 Kudos
pelican20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Woody,

The original drive (the OS drive) has been replaced with a small (but fast) solid state drive (SSD), and it's only 128GB. So the VMDK folder won't be able to go back to it's original home. Can it be re-directed to a different folder,, from it's original creation?

I've attached the "Compaq PC.vmdk" file, and a screencapture of the folder. And there's 342.63 GB available in the external drive.

Thanks so much,

Suzanne

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Suzanne,

Okay I've edited the "Compaq PC-000001.vmdk" file to allow for the base disk (all the .vmdk files in the "Compaq PC" folder) to be copied into the "WinXP Compaq" Virtual Machine Document Package.

Since you have the space I'd copy the files into the Document Package vs. moving them so you maintain a copy of the original until the Virtual Machine is back up and running and then if you what you can choose to keep it or delete if to regain the disk space.

Unzip the attached "Compaq PC-000001.vmdk.zip" file and replace the "Compaq PC-000001.vmdk" file in the "WinXP Compaq" Virtual Machine Document Package with the one provided here and then copy all .vmdk files from the "Compaq PC" folder to the same package.

To open the "WinXP Compaq" Virtual Machine Document Package ctrl-click it and select Show Package Contents.

After replacing the "Compaq PC-000001.vmdk" file everything has been copied you can just double-click the "WinXP Compaq" Virtual Machine Document Package to have it run in VMware Fusion.

Note:  I'm assuming you're going to be using the "WinXP Compaq" Virtual Machine Document Package that is on the "Video Internal 1Tb" external drive.

Let me know if it all goes okay or iff we need to look at something else.

Woody

0 Kudos
pelican20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Woody,

Does it matter that the files within the package have a different file name?

Compaq PC-000001-s001.vmdk (not "Compaq PC-000001.vmdk.zip")

Suzanne

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Suzanne,

The Compaq PC-000001.vmdk.zip file contains the "Compaq PC-000001.vmdk" to replace the existing one with.  It is a zip archive (compressed) file, just save it to your system and then double-click it to unzip it then copy the extracted "Compaq PC-000001.vmdk" file to the opened "WinXP Compaq" Virtual Machine Document Package and let it replace the existing "Compaq PC-000001.vmdk" file as the one I've sent you has been edited to reflect that the "Compaq PC.vmdk" and "Compaq PC-s001.vmdk" through "Compaq PC-s090.vmdk" files will have been copied into the opened "WinXP Compaq" Virtual Machine Document Package as well.

Understand?

Woody

0 Kudos
pelican20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Woody,

I must be doing something wrong.

1. I copied everything in the folder "/Volumes/Video Internal 1Tb/Compaq PC" (including all ninety 2.xGB files) to the "WinXP Compaq.vmwarevm" package.

The package is located in:

/Volumes/Video Internal 1Tb/Users/rickjacobs/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/WinXP Compaq.vmwarevm

2. I then download and copied (over-wrote) the the extracted "Compaq PC-000001.vmdk" file into "WinXP Compaq" Virtual Machine Document Package

But for some reason I still get the "The file specified is not a virtual disk."

I hope that not all hope is lost,

Suzanne

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

1. I copied everything in the folder "/Volumes/Video Internal 1Tb/Compaq PC" (including all ninety 2.xGB files) to the "WinXP Compaq.vmwarevm" package.

When you say you "copied everything in the folder" did you copy anything other then files that have a .vmdk extension?

0 Kudos
pelican20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Woody,

Sorry for the delayed response. I was completely unable to reply today.

Yes I copied everything, not just the VMDK files. Was that wrong to do?

I have a backup.

Suzanne

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Suzanne,

Yes I copied everything, not just the VMDK files. Was that wrong to do?

Yes it was the wrong thing to do and I had said "Okay I've edited the "Compaq PC-000001.vmdk" file to allow for the base  disk (all the .vmdk files in the "Compaq PC" folder) to be copied into  the "WinXP Compaq" Virtual Machine Document Package." so note I was very specific as I said "the base  disk (all the .vmdk files in the "Compaq PC" folder) to be copied" and nowhere did I say copy everything in the "Compaq PC" folder.

I have a backup.

Do not touch the backup, yet anyway, until it is determined there is no other choice! Smiley Wink

Lets start with a new "Collect Support Information" and attach the new .tgz file it creates on your Desktop.  Also consider allowing me to make a secure remote connection to your Mac using TeamViewer to clean this up as it would be much easier under the circumstances, let me know.

Woody

0 Kudos
pelican20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Woody,

I am totally at fault. I know just enough to be dangerous. You did instruct me to just copy the VMDK files, but I think I did copy all the files (not terribly sure). Sorry for the inconvenience, and I really appreciate all your help. Attached is the TGZ file. I would love for you to remote into my computer, but I live in a rural area, that only has satellite internet. It's pretty slow and unreliable, but remoting in may work? Again thanks for working with me!

Suzanne

0 Kudos
pelican20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Woody,

Are you still there?

Suzanne

0 Kudos
pelican20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Woody,

If you're done trying to help me, I understand. Please just let me know so I can seek help elsewhere. Thanks.

Suzanne

0 Kudos