VMware Communities
oriolo76
Contributor
Contributor

Big issue between VMware Fusion 12 and Big Sur on VLAN

Good morning to everybody,

I have this big problem with Fusion and Big Sur. The scenario is the following.

Host Machine:

VMware Fusion 12.1.0

MacOS Big Sur 11.0.1

Network relevant details:

en0 -> untagged interface adapter on a private network

vlan0 -> tagged interface adapter on a public network

Guest Machine

Network: public ip on a network adapter bridged on vlan0

The problem is that the guest is unable to ping outside the host (guest <-> host is ok).

In other words, the default gateway for the vlan0 doesn’t respond to the guest (in any case both firewalls are off and forwarding is enabled).

I also used tcpdump and I have verified that packets go out from guest and reach the host, but they do not come back.

I already tried many of your dns or nat tested solutions to the related issues, but the problem persists.

What is interesting is if I move the guest bridge on the en0 (of the host), reconfiguring it with a public ip, all works (as expected).

This for saying that the problem should be strictly related to VLAN.

Note: before updating (both to Fusion 12 and Big Sur) all was working between host and guest (both having a public IP address) and routing to Internet.

Any help or suggestions is very appreciated.

Thank you.

Cheers,

—Carlo

0 Kudos
44 Replies
hirochan_hh
Contributor
Contributor

I have confirmed that tagged VLAN works with Fusion 12.2.1 and macOS monterey.

0 Kudos
criticaltgraham
Contributor
Contributor

How so? I upgraded to Monterey this morning to test, and found that VMs with tagged VLAN still do not pick up IP addresses via DHCP on that VLAN, where they used to with Catalina. Tagged VLANs are STILL broken, even in latest Monterey with VMware Fusion Pro 12.2.1.

Back to Catalina I go. Anyone else following this thread, don't waste your time!

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 11.13.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 11.09.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.56.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 11.08.57 AM.png

0 Kudos
tbone2021
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am having this same issue on both Big Sur and Monterey. This is my setup:

Mac Interfaces:

1) Ethernet
  2) Virtual interface VLAN 1000
  3) Virtual interface VLAN 1001

I have two Windows 7 virtual machines Win1 and Win2.

Cases:

1) Bind VLAN 1000 to Win1, VLAN 1001 to Win2: everything okay, DHCP succeeds and can ping gateways
 2) Bind VLAN 1000 to Win1, and Ethernet to Win2: Win1 gets DHCP address, but cannot ping gateway. If I turnoff Win2 virtual machine, Win1 is able to ping. Mac is able to ping Win1 address, but Win1's pings do not go out on the network. 

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
hirochan_hh
Contributor
Contributor

VLAN is working as expected in my environment.

I haven't set an IP address for my mac virtual interface.

The IP address is set in the network settings of the virtual machine OS.

0 Kudos
tbone2021
Contributor
Contributor

One virtual machine using VLAN interface works fine. If you add a second virtual machine that is bound to the non-VLAN Macintosh Ethernet interface, the VLAN interface will stop working. I could not find a workaround besides putting all virtual machines on VLAN interfaces.

The only clue I could find is that there is something related to Skywalk which you can details of the interface using "ipconfig -v en0" after Fusion sets up the bridged network to en0. Skywalk is a black box in MacOS networking, so I'm guessing this is a bug/incompatibility in MacOS... 

0 Kudos