VMware Communities
daemonvirt
Contributor
Contributor

Big Sur guest can't change screen resolution

I have a Big Sur guest running in Fusion on a Big Sur host. Everything was working fine and then I received an update for vmware fusion. I ran the update and it included newer hardware support. So I upgraded the hardware support and updated the guest vmware tools. When it rebooted I authorized the kext extensions. I then noticed that the screen resolution was locked to 1024x768. I have changed the vm settings under display but it does not change. I have shut down, rebooted, reinstalled the tools, and removed the tools (reboot) to then install the tools again (reboot). But none of these have any effect on it. I have another Big Sur guest which is working fine with the new tools. So not sure how or what messed up this one vm. But no matter what I do I can not get it to recognize a resolution other than 1024x768.

Both guest and host are fully updated Big Sur. Fusion is fully updated also.

I have searched an most I can find is remove and reinstall the tools or install the tools a second time.  But nothing seems to work.

4 Replies
wco201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I have exactly the same problem here. Installing and uninstalling several times does not solve the problem. The VMWare-tools-daemon is allowed under Security and Privacy. I can see that the extension "WMwareGfx.kext" is installed but not loaded. How can I activate this again? What else can I try?

0 Kudos
daemonvirt
Contributor
Contributor

I got mine fixed.  But there was an update to vmware, an update to MacOS Big Sur, and around the same time I removed and reinstalled the tools.

It took some doing and I am not sure which one fixed it.  But I would say check for MacOS updates and install if you have them.  Also check for vmware updates and install if they are available.  For me I am running vmware fusion 12.2.4.  Then completely uninstall vmware tools.  It will ask to reboot, do that, then reinstall vmware tools and reboot.

I hope that helps.

Allan69
Contributor
Contributor

I was looking for the same. Thank you for sharing the suggestion, I will try to figure it out for more.
LA Fitness Employee Portal

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
wco201110141
Contributor
Contributor

With the update on the guest system to macOS Big Sur 11.7.1 and the VMware Tools in version 12.1.0, it now works for me. In addition, I only use the tool VMware.prefPane. This gives you an additional system setting and you can use it to adjust the resolution to your needs. You can find the tool on Github:
https://github.com/MarLoe/VMware.PreferencePane

0 Kudos