VMware Communities
AlessandroDN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Big Sur VM shows "You shut down the computer because of a problem" on every login

Hi all,

I have a Catalina host (10.15.7) running VMware Fusion 12.1 Player.

I have a Big Sure guest which was 11.0.1 (with VMware Tools) running with no issues. I updated the VM to Big Sur 11.1, the update completed successfully, and the machine works fine with the exception that each time I login a pop "You shut down the computer because of a problem" is shown.

I tried both the option "Cancel" and "Open" but nothing... the popup comes back at the next login.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks

Alessandro

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
AlessandroDN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks @DaveP 

I can confirm the fix works here.

Is there any chance someone will report this back to VMware?

Do you know what's the difference between V0 and V1?

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In played with SMC 0 some more tonight, and never got a fully stable result.  Either it won't start all the way or it won't shut down.

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

So I tried a clean install of 11.2.  Without VMware Tools the 11.2 VM was error free.  After VMware Tools was installed then every reboot popped the message about a shutdown problem.  I tried SMC 0 and there was no change in the shutdown problem messages.  My existing 11.1 VMs have yet to survive an 11.2 upgrade.  These VMs all had VMtools 11.2 and 3D video enabled. The 11.1 VMs I have will not stay running long enough for the upgrade to complete.  At some point during the upgrade cycle the VMs BSOD or shut down, and then after the next boot they are still on 11.1.

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

To follow up when I disabled 3D video (AppleGPU0) on the VM it was able to upgrade to 11.2.

0 Kudos
Ninad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you DaveP for the solution. Sorry, I don't use VMw. Actually I use Vb. I have same problem over there. I used to lose my opened windows at next login even after clean shutdown. Your solution worked perfectly. Thanks once again.

- [Mr] Ninad

0 Kudos
AlessandroDN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi all,

today I updated the VM to Big Sur 11.4 and verified that the message is no longer displayed after login 🙂

VMware Fusion version is the latest stable (11.1.2).

0 Kudos
Zeus95
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes same problem here, booting into safe mode worked tho, however I do think this might be the problem, I may be wrong, but it's a memory issue imo.

Screenshot (280).png

Screenshot (277).jpg
I have 4096mb allocated to MacOS Catalina btw

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Interesting, I just checked a Catalina VM with 4GB of memory that I have and this particular error (or display) does not show up.

Can you give more information on what we're seeing here?

What version of Fusion? What Mac are you running this on?

Can you post the vmx file and the vmware.log file for this VM?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos