VMware Communities
Piipperi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Big Sur VM not starting up after enabling 3D acceleration

I can't launch my macOS Big Sur VM anymore after using this, VMware just crashes as a whole when I try to launch the VM. If I remove those lines that I added, the VM starts fine... How can I enable 3D acceleration on Big Sur if that doesn't work?

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 0.12.58.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Well...it does not really work anymore.  Given its not an official feature at this point it is not clear if or when VMware will fix it.  In my case I could get VMs to start but they usually quit after a while.  It is nice when it works.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Another vote that this is currently broken.
Just tried it here on a Big Sur beta 7 host with a BS b7 guest on VMware Fusion 12.1.1 and it even crashed the host the first time I tried...

The second time that didn't happen, but it also doesn't shut down after initiating that from the menu. Trying to quit Fusion says "Machine is busy".. I"ll wait...

edit: oh and I agree with Gringley, it wasn't exactly stable. Seen it crash frequently when it this feature is enabled.

Also got tired of waiting and decided to hold down the options key and selecting "Shutting down" so that you can choose "Power Off" after selecting that.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Ditto here too.

Seems like the Dev team all got sucked into an event horizon...going to be very curious to see what comes out

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Seems to work again with beta8 as both host as well as guest ...
No idea yet if it is more stable than before.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

FWIW, this feature is VERY much dependent on Apple.  One of the reasons we haven't made it official is that we don't have as much control over the quality (or lifespan) of the feature and it's dependencies.

Generally, I disable it before running updates and re-enable it after doing them to avoid crashes and failed updates. 

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This week I tried creating new Big Sur guests using 11.4 and so far the 3D is working for me.  A Black Screen on one guest but the other has been crash free so far.

0 Kudos