VMware Communities
msgreenf
Contributor
Contributor

Big Sur Support?

Trying to run VMs on big sur running latest fusion and getting an error

"Could not open /dev/vmmon: Broken pipe"

Make sure that the kernel module 'vmmon' is loaded.

Does anyone have a solution for this yet?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
TimSheppard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mike Roy (Product manager for Fusion at VMware) has been tweeting about this.

Looks like there will be a tech preview in a couple of weeks.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I expect it will take a new version of Fusion before MacOS 11.0.0 is supported - this might be a better place to ask/watch: VMware Fusion Pro Tech Preview

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
pierredp
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion does not run on Big Sur for me.  It just reports an error "Not supported on this version of the O/S"

You probably have many thousands of users. Two weeks to wait for a solution is a bit long.  I thought large software companies, such as VMWare gets tech releases of the O/S and at least warn their users that the upgrade will break VMWare Fusion?

Really need this to perform my job, please help.  Are there an alternative?  Must I upgrade Fusion?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can only run Fusion 12 on Big Sur because of changes Apple made to MacOS, so unless you can downgrade MacOS your only other free option is to use the Player version of Fusion 12.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
vmwtece
Contributor
Contributor

The page I land on for a free personal use of Fusion Player 12 tells me that I have to register.  Then when I click on the link to register, the page it re-directs me to says: "Dear user, the web content you have requested is not available."

Is this because I have a license to Fusion 11 or something?  It won't allow me to access the download?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try a different browser, or using a private/incognito window.

0 Kudos
vmwtece
Contributor
Contributor

Amazing.   An incognito window worked!   Download started.

Thanks  🙂

0 Kudos
VMwareHATER
Contributor
Contributor

Typical VMware! If I knew they'd be so behind the 8 Ball I would have chosen another company. For anyone considering VMware, PLEASE consider an alternative. I'm a programmer and I'll tell you that I would anticipate updates and make modifications accordingly. Most major operations are conducted on Apple products, yet the people at VMware don't understand this concept, hence why most VM's are Windows based. I'm begininng to think that VMware is for people doing unscrupulous things on computers and not those like me, that just want to challenge and TS computer viruses. Once again, awful job VM!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

What are you talking about?  Fusion 12 has Big Sur support.  This is an old thread.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@VMwareHATER 

What is your technical issue?

0 Kudos
wchute
Contributor
Contributor

Having the same problem here.  3 messages in series:

Could not open /dev/vmmon: Broken pipe.  Please make sure that the kernel module `vmmon' is loaded.

Failed to initialize monitor device.

Transport (VMDB) error -14: Pipe connection has been broken

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@wchute 

What MacOS version are you running?

What Fusion version do you have installed?

0 Kudos