VMware Communities
Daedalus1
Contributor
Contributor

Big Sur/Fusion 12: Virtual disk no Wi-Fi

Big Sur and Fusion 12 up to date/MacBook 2015. I don't _think_ the issue (Windows says no Wi-Fi) happened immediately upon install or update, though I might be wrong. Happy user of Fusion for years, not a single issue. 

FWIW, Windows diagnostics tells me "a cable is missing" or "insert Ethernet cable" but clearly it is just babbling.

Please tell me it can be fixed as a Fusion hiccup; after all the crap with Big Sur (some still unfixed) I would hate to deal with Microsoft now.

Of course I can reinstall Catalina, but...

Thanks to everyone.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

>> FWIW, Windows diagnostics tells me "a cable is missing" or "insert Ethernet cable" but clearly it is just babbling.

No - it means that the  virtual Device that you assigned to your VM is not active.
How did you plan to acchieve WiFI inside your VM ? - via a USB-wireless nic plugged in as a USB-device ?

Daedalus1
Contributor
Contributor

[dual post]

0 Kudos
Daedalus1
Contributor
Contributor

1. Wow. Respect. Immediate answers with a thunderbolt from Your Abode! I haven't explored the message yet, and I will in a moment, if only even to understand a little more about Fusion.

2. Not surprisingly, thunderbolts are often sort of un-understandable to mortals. All I can say is I have/had a Mac, with Wi-Fi from my little router since they invented the Web (as it obviously is doing now), bought Fusion, and in _its_ world of Windows had Wi-Fi pumped out-and-in without me noticing how and why, because it Just Did It, as nature intended.

3. Even more a wow, and respect, for offering me your Skype contact.

So: thank you very much. Your suggestion of exploring  "...[achieving] WiFI inside your VM [...] via a USB-wireless nic plugged in as a USB-device ? ..." is essentially meaningless to me (see #2 above).

I don't mind continuing this in this forum if you think it's worth it for general education, or for the next klutz like me who logs on.

Thanks again,

Rob

PS: Merry Christmas!

0 Kudos