VMware Communities
davidummel
Contributor
Contributor

Big Sur Fusion 12 VM networked files crash

I have my VM (files) stored on a networked flash array to be accessed and used on the fusion desktop app. When starting the 'networked' VMs my computer will crash. This will happen with any VM stored on the array. If I move the VM to my local disk this does not seem to happen. I have 64Gb memory here on this computer and am using a 10g network to connect it all. Everything worked fine after I upgraded to Fusion 12, once I upgraded to Big Sur is when this began to happen.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

That's a really, really risky operation.  Any hiccups with the network will cause the VM to crash and potentially corrupt the files, and that could easily bring down your computer.

Moving them local is the best option.

0 Kudos
davidummel
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, This is not one of those types of networks! If it was why would anyone ever use a SAN? I am attached to a rugged, redundant, critical infrastructure network.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Hmmm, yeah SAN is different.  Though glitches (like machines sleeping) can still cause issue.  It should still be able to launch though.

Is it by chance an NTFS drive as well where you have to use third-party FS drivers?

0 Kudos
davidummel
Contributor
Contributor

iSCSI LUN and the virtual disk is SCSI

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

From what I found with a quick "google" is that Big Sur does not have native iSCSI initiator support?
Seems that in order to install a iSCSI initiator from a 3rd party you even have to disable SIP.  :s

Crashes at host level with VMware tend to be hardware related.. as VMware does not even load kernel extensions anymore in Big Sur, I'd say that is even more true now than it was before.
Your best bet is probably to contact your iSCSI driver supplier and see if they can help you troubleshoot this. If only to exclude it is their driver.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos