VMware Communities
moodeedee
Contributor
Contributor

Big Sur EFI Problem - Won't Start Windows 10 Bootcamp

Migrating to Big Sur I've had to upgrade from 11.6 to 12.0.0 Fusion but it will no longer run my Windows 10 Bootcamp VM.  I've even created a new onc in case there was an issue, but this has the same problem.

Interestingly, when I boot into Windows/Bootcamp on power-up (holding the Option key), the original Windows partition is now listed as EFI.

For some reason, VMWare Fusion at version 12.0.0 on Big Sur will no longer load the boot up the Windows 10/Bootcamp partition.

None of the advanced option are ticked in the Processor & Memory settings, so I've got past the original Channel Mitigation issue.

Please advise.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Devnol
Contributor
Contributor

I am experiencing the same issue, I tried uninstalling VMware Fusion and reinstalling it to see if I missed on anything and I noticed I did get a prompt to allow access to the bootcamp volume to VMware Fusion, however it still failed. I also tried disabling system integrity protection, as per this knowledge base article which didn't work either. It appears that VMware Fusion is attempting to access /dev/disk0s1 which is the EFI partition. My guess is that this is a bug that should be filed to VMware.

Devnol
Contributor
Contributor

I looked into reporting a bug to VMware and found no real way of filing a bug, other than a Support request, but I don't have any support agreements so I do not know if I can file it there. This article says I should just drop it in the appropriate community so I guess this thread counts. I hope someone more knowledgeable can do what is needed for this to be fixed, as the Bootcamp import function is a very useful feature that I would really like to be able to have.

0 Kudos
Jason__MC
Contributor
Contributor

More info on this issue and a somewhat tedious workaround here: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Fusion-12-can-t-use-Boot-Camp-volume/m-p...

No response yet from VMware aside from a log file request by a VMware employee.

moodeedee
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that.  It's been going on for a while then.  I can't risk stuffing my Windows bootcamp partition unfortunately as it's my work stuff, so no VM for me for a while it seems.

I can boot into that Windows partition so I can still work.  Just a shame I can't use it as a VM.

Many thanks for the extra info!

Steve.

0 Kudos