VMware Communities
skim94
Contributor
Contributor

Big Sur Bridged Wifi Download Issues

Hello, 

I have upgraded my Mac to BigSur update and have VMware Fusion Pro 12.1.2 and have been having issues with bridged wifi on all my VMs. Lately I have been having issues downloading large files when using any VM. I get "Network Error" using Chrome, FireFox, IE, etc. I have also tried to downloading large files via command line on some of my linux boxes and it fails to download the file. 

An example error I get when using curl via command line: 

0 2688M 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0{ [5 bytes data]
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS alert, bad record mac (532):
} [2 bytes data]
* OpenSSL SSL_read: error:1408F119:SSL routines:ssl3_get_record:decryption failed or bad record mac, errno 0
0 2688M 0 32768 0 0 73306 0 10:40:51 --:--:-- 10:40:51 73142
* Closing connection 0
curl: (56) OpenSSL SSL_read: error:1408F119:SSL routines:ssl3_get_record:decryption failed or bad record mac, errno 0

I have a windows vm, a Kali Linux vm, and and Ubuntu vm all of which I cannot download large files without getting errors. 
If I change my network connection to NAT I have no issues at all, however due to some work limitations I must be on bridged Wifi connection. 

I  have tried doing clean install off all my VMs as well as vmware fusion 12 and the problem still persists. 
18 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

and no custom networking configs in place?

0 Kudos
skim94
Contributor
Contributor

No custom networking configs. Basically tried from clean install as well. Changed wifi to bridged mode and verified IP address. I can download things like Google Chrome or Firefox just fine, however larger files like 2gb+ seems to throw a connection error. As an example I tried downloading Ubuntu from a windows vm and linux vm both errored out within the first 5 seconds of attempting download. 

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Using Wi-Fi for bridge mode has not worked in any release of Fusion 12.  It would be nice to see this fixed.  While I am ranting I think Fusion should be smart enough to pop up a box when started on an M1 Mac that states that it cannot run on an M1 Mac.

0 Kudos
allscriptsjbarr
Contributor
Contributor

I came here to say I'm seeing the same thing. New mac the other day, using fusion for some win stuff. Could not get any downloads to work within the fusion instance of Win 10. Networking was on Wi-Fi, Autodetect seemed to do the same thing. Only thing that worked was manually selecting my USB LAN adapter.

0 Kudos
allscriptsjbarr
Contributor
Contributor

Update, after continued research into the issue. I have found the following...

Downloaded Parallels, it has the exact same issue. So this is not just Fusion.
i did additional research and found some notes in Fusion about VPN issues.
This is a work system, so Cisco Anyconnect was installed within Mac OS, but I don't use it most of the time.
Notes on Cisco Anyconnect mention some notes about Big Sur, which got me to thinking and looking.
Even when not connected to my company VPN, there are still some Anyconnect items loaded into the network stack on the Mac.
I uninstalled Cisco Anyconnect from the Mac, rebooted.
Set the Fusion WIN10 instance to Bridge, Wifi, rebooted.
Issue seems to have gone away, I'm now able download files and access Internet resources without issue within my Fusion WIN10 VM, in bridged mode, using WiFi.

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

For me not fixed in 11.5.2.  I had never installed AnyConnect on my current iMac - but lo and behold I had an /opt/cisco/anyconnect folder from a former employer that I am guessing the Migration Assistant moved from my old iMac.  I cannot find any other AnyConnect components in my current system however?

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I decided to get a bit more empirical about this problem.  This is the ifconfig output when I am on Wi-Fi which shows 'MACNAT' is active:

en11: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    ether a2:5c:45:1c:41:74
    media: autoselect
bridge100: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
    ether d2:81:7a:6d:1d:64
    Configuration:
                id 0:0:0:0:0:0 priority 0 hellotime 0 fwddelay 0
        maxage 0 holdcnt 0 proto stp maxaddr 100 timeout 1200
        root id 0:0:0:0:0:0 priority 0 ifcost 0 port 0
        ipfilter disabled flags 0x0
    member: en1 flags=8003<LEARNING,DISCOVER,MACNAT>

ifmaxaddr 0 port 7 priority 0 path cost 0
    member: en11 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
            ifmaxaddr 0 port 22 priority 0 path cost 0
    nd6 options=201<PERFORMNUD,DAD>

Then here is the same out when I make Ethernet active and the guest network works properly, and there is no MACNAT

en11: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    ether a2:5c:45:1c:41:74
bridge100: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
    ether d2:81:7a:6d:1d:64
    Configuration:
        id 0:0:0:0:0:0 priority 0 hellotime 0 fwddelay 0
        maxage 0 holdcnt 0 proto stp maxaddr 100 timeout 1200
        root id 0:0:0:0:0:0 priority 0 ifcost 0 port 0
        ipfilter disabled flags 0x0
    member: en0 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
            ifmaxaddr 0 port 4 priority 0 path cost 0
    member: en11 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
            ifmaxaddr 0 port 22 priority 0 path cost 0
    nd6 options=201<PERFORMNUD,DAD>

So why does the Wi-Fi interface (en1) have the MACNAT flag?  The MACNAT flag does not come up in Google either (I feel so special!) so at this point I have no idea what the next move is?

0 Kudos
mistapony78
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problems, has anyone found a solution?

0 Kudos
OS2EPM
Contributor
Contributor

As am I. It seems that large packets are the issue- I get the disconnects when ssh-ing to a server and ask for a lot of data all at once. Just logging in, pressing enter... Those things work fine.

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am finding that setting the MTU to 1499 in the guest fixes it.

OS2EPM
Contributor
Contributor

Yup- lowering the MTU fixed the symptoms.

0 Kudos
mistapony78
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks that finally fixed my issues as well!

0 Kudos
sksconsulting
Contributor
Contributor

Everything works fine on my iMac on Ethernet.  The problem is just in bridged mode on wifi which kind of precludes using VMs on a laptop.

I was finally able to get two VMs running on my laptop in bridged mode by limiting the MTU of the Linux guests to 1400.

Another thread discussing this in detail:  https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Upgrading-to-MacOS-Big-Sur-broke-packet-...

Anyone tried Fusion in Monterrey yet?

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Indeed I have.  In Monterey 12.0.1 and 12.1 Linux VMs work normally when bridged to Wi-Fi.  Windows VMs on the other hand cannot get a IP address when bridged to Wi-Fi.  You win some and you lose some I guess...

davidfincher
Contributor
Contributor

My issue is very similar to the original poster. I purchased Parallels Desktop for Mac (Pro) in December 2020. At that time, it was v16.x, but it persists in v17.0.1. It has always had problems downloading files in Windows 10 through Firefox, Chrome, and Edge, as well as downloading Windows Updates, while in Bridged Network mode. I've tried the different virtual network interface types, and they all experience the same issue that the OP described - browser downloads start but finish with a network error. Windows Updates start downloading, and hang part way through and never finish.
As an example of files that I'm unable to download in Bridged mode, the file begins and immediately quits with a message that states "Couldn't download - network issue". If I switch to Shared Networking, downloads work great.
Current details (but this has happened with older versions of host OS, guest OS, and Parallels.
Host: MacOs 11.5.2
Guest: Windows 10 Pro, 20H2, OS Build 19042.1237

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

@davidfincher wrote:

My issue is very similar to the original poster. I purchased Parallels Desktop for Mac (Pro) in December 2020.

A Parallels question at a VMware Forum, try the Parallels forum I guess?

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
johnnydangz
Contributor
Contributor

My issue is very similar to the original poster. I purchased Parallels Desktop for Mac (Pro) in December 2020. At that time, it was v16.x, but it persists in v17.0.1. It has always had problems downloading files in Windows 10 through Firefox, Chrome, and Edge, as well as downloading Windows Updates, while in Bridged Network mode. I've tried the different virtual network interface types, and they all experience the same issue that the OP described - browser downloads start but finish with a network error. Windows Updates start downloading, and hang part way through and never finish.
As an example of files that I'm unable to download in Bridged mode, the file begins and immediately quits with a message that states "Couldn't download - network issue". If I switch to Shared Networking, downloads work great.
Current details (but this has happened with older versions of host OS, guest OS, and Parallels.
Host: MacOs 11.5.2
Guest: Windows 10 Pro, 20H2, OS Build 19042.1237

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Apple's WiFi interfaces are problematic and so far there is no workarounds other than what has been discussed above.  It seems any other network interface Ethernet or USB does not have this problem.  I am assuming this has been unsolvable for you because you are on a MacBook.  A USB or Thunderbolt to Ethernet dongle may be the right answer but I do not have a MacBook to try it with.

0 Kudos