VMware Communities
BinaryDork
Contributor
Contributor

Bad 2.0 experience...reverting to 1.1.3

I updgraded to 2.0 thinking the performance is going to be better but I was surprised that it was worse. I do development using my Virutal Machine and at times use Ant to do "builds" which can at times push around more than 3000 files. Using 1.1.3 I had pretty damn good performance. However simply opening Eclipse in the VM was lagging A LOT. Simply minimizing a window would cause my processor to JUMP to 100%. On top of that it seemed the screen kept flickering when viewing the task manager. I actually thought maybe I had debugging on or something.

Another thing that happen was when my VM first booted up and started to install the new tools...I got an error from the VMUser something (didn't take a screenshot) and it was asking me to open a debugger. I have never seen the error before.

Needless to say, I'm going to be reverting back to 1.1.3 and waiting till 2.1 comes out.

Honestly all the new features sound great. But the TWO things I need is: 1) Multiple Snapshots and 2) Performance

I understand the 2.0 version gives me #1 but if newer versions have worse performance than previous versions....not a good way to upsell me.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

2.0 was a beta, so would have all the debugging code still enabled. So some performance issues would not be unheard of. That said, 2.0 has just been fully released so you may want to try installing the release version of Fusion, if you had the beta installed.

0 Kudos
BinaryDork
Contributor
Contributor

I'm confused. You say in your post that 2.0 was beta but yet you then tell me to download the 2.0 release.

I downloaded 2.0 this morning and from what I understand and saw it was the release version. The filename had the build number of 116369 contained in it. I'm not quite sure how this could have been a beta version.

0 Kudos
BinaryDork
Contributor
Contributor

Ah ok, I just figured out what you were trying to say...no I didn't have the beta installed...I had the newly release 2.0 installed. Hence why I was so surprised. I avoiding the beta and thought now that it was "ready to be released" it would be ready.

in my case it doesn't seem to be Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I'm confused. You say in your post that 2.0 was beta but yet you then tell me to download the 2.0 release.

The latest released version of Fusion is called 2.0 (116369) while the previous releases were called 2.0 Beta 1 and Beta 2 and 2.0 RC1. So you are/were running the latest release version.

asatoran just didn't present it well.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, my bad on the wording. <:-(

I just finished installing 2.0 release (116369) and so far I've not experienced any performance issues. (knock on wood.) Host: MBP 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, similar to your 2.6GHz MBP. BTW, were you able to upgrade the virtual hardware version and install VMWare Tools? Your post seemed to indicate the VMWare Tools install failed. This was for your XP-SP3 guest, you mentioned in your previous thread? My XP-SP3 guest seems to be ok so far, although I do not have a large dev environment running in it.

0 Kudos
I_C
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

did you upgrade the VM and upgrade the tools in the VM after you installed 2.0?

0 Kudos
BinaryDork
Contributor
Contributor

yes it got upgraded.

the error came up when it was prompting if i wanted to restart or not.I don't have the time to figure out the issue and/or source of the error. I'll wait till 2.1 and see if the performance is any better. It's 1.1.3 until then.

0 Kudos