VMware Communities
TriangleOMS
Contributor
Contributor

Backup strategies for Fusion VM's...

Hi folks,

This is my first post to this forum and have done my duty to search the archives for answers for my concerns over backing up VMs. Most particularly, I read one of the links about using TimeCapsule and that it is not necessarily a straight forward approach.

I got started with fusion about 4 months ago, and overall have been impressed with just how easy it is to set up VMs even in a Windows network environment. The system seemed stable and dependable. As I added applications to my VM, I was careful to take pictures along the way. I began to back up my VM using DropBox but the size of the app got to be huge - so that became impractical. I was getting ready to go purchase TimeCapsule as backing up to the server was cumbersome - I figured TimeCapsule was the way to go; but I was in no hurry.

Then today, I was running my VM and both host and VM froze - mouse would run about but no click action. I could do nothing. I called Apple Tech Support and they had me "archive" and reinstalled OS X. I lost all 3rd party software and vms.

So, even though I've looked about, I'm not clear on what are the general strategies used to back up VMs, what the pros and cons are.

Appreciate the input.

Best,

David Lambert

Durham, NC USA

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

>> Second, how do I access the Windows partition I created on my LaCie drive? The drive is plugged into the Mac via firewire.

Fusion does not currently support directly using firewire devices within Windows virtual machines. There is a workaround, however, using Fusion's shared folder feature. See http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-7730

In addition to the information in the FireWire and VMware Fusion FAQ document in 's case since the LaCie drive is partitioned with both an HFS+ volume and, I'm assuming, an NTFS volume, while the HFS+ volume can easily be set up as a VMware Shared Folder with both read and write access if the other volume is indeed NTFS then by default it can only be a read only folder under VMware Shared Folders. It would require having NTFS-3G or similar installed under OS X in order provide read/write access to the NTFS volume as a VMware Shared Folder.

If your lacie drive has a USB connection, try using that instead and then you will be able to connect your windows guest to it directly.

I would like to add that if you do use the LaCie with USB and connected directly to the Virtual Machine you also will not be able to use the HFS+ volume on the LaCie under OS X at the same time and both volumes will be unmounted under OS X when connecting the NTFS volume directly to the Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Are ALL the components of a virtual machine self contained in the xxx.vmwarevm file? Other than the fusion app itself that is. So I could just copy that file to a usb stick for safekeeping? Have had a few tragedies with vm's and hoping to avoid it again. I thought that TM would have been sufficient backup protection. Smiley Sad Also is it "safer" to shut down the vm when not in use as opposed to "suspending" it?

With normal file based Virtual Machine created under VMware Fusion the files that comprise the Virtual Machine are placed in a Document Package and generally speaking the Package is self-contained however one should not just blindly assume that the Package is in of and by itself to be the complete package. As an example if the Virtual Machine was created from a Physical Machine with VMware Converter and then migrated to VMware Fusion then in this scenario is more likely than not, and in part due to the lackluster directions provided by VMware, that the converted virtual hard drive will actually reside outside of the target Virtual Machine's Package. In many cases I've seen where on the users Desktop there will be a normal folder containing the virtual hard drive created by VMware Converter and then the Fusion Virtual Machine will be in its default location and its Package will not contain its virtual hard drive. In each case where I've helped a Fusion user via remote access and run across this scenario I moved the virtual hard drive inside the target Virtual Machine's Package and edited the .vmx configuration file to correct the path to the virtual hard drive. Also note that this is not the only case scenario where there can be external references to needed and/or necessary files that are required for the Virtual Machine to function properly so you as the user need to ensure that what you're backing up is all that you need to be backing up.

As to backing up Virtual Machines as far as I'm concerned the only way is that the backup be done while the Virtual Machine is shut down, not suspended, from within the Guest OS and Fusion closed. As an added step and although while not absolutely necessary I have found this to be very beneficial and that is to delete the Applications folder that resides within the target Virtual Machines Package. This folder and the helper applications will be regenerated as necessary as needed.

As to the actual method of backup at that point first and foremost I would never ever under any circumstance whatsoever use Time Machine and I would ensure that there is the appropriate exclusion in Time Machine to keep from backing up any of my Virtual Machines and I would then either make a manual copy of the Virtual Machine Package or utilize scripting or other third-party applications/programs that can be configured to make the appropriate copies under the appropriate conditions.

0 Kudos