VMware Communities
lensv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Backup of virutal machines

It's been a while since I looked for this now, but is there still no simple way to backup VMs in VMware Fusion?

0 Kudos
24 Replies
lensv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's probably true what you say about current alternatives in OS X, but let's hope that the technology from other platforms will find it's way to this environment as well.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

You're unlikely to see sophisticated backup capabilities in a consumer focused product.  Enterprise-grade backup software is available today that has those features - but even then, backing up a VM that's actually running isn't something to be trusted....the virtual memory file is constantly changing (among other things), so you'd have to set it to quiesce all disk activity, snapshot the entire virtual machine folder, and back it up as a unit.  So you're talking about a system that has the ability to cache multi-gigabyte chunks of data...that's a pretty hefty machine.

0 Kudos
lensv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, if you look at the Windows platform the backup procedure takes advantage of shadow copies and that works actually pretty smooth. Same technology should be applicable in backup softwares on OS X.

0 Kudos
koi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, if you look at the Windows platform the backup procedure takes advantage of shadow copies and that works actually pretty smooth. Same technology should be applicable in backup softwares on OS X.

That is exactly the difference. Windows itself has the ability to take volume shadow snapshots, i.e. right now, snapshot the state of the entire disk (new writes go elsewhere) and back it up at your leisure. I don't think OS X has this capability, it's only at the file granularity - multiple files are not guaranteed to be in sync (which is precisely the problem with trying to use Time Machine on a running VM). The entire disk vs per-file distinction is very important. It doesn't matter if we're talking about Fusion, Parallels or VirtualBox or even non-virtualization, the problem is at the OS layer.

Could OS X theoretically do this? Of course. Could some backup software do this? Maybe, it's probably harder - you'd need kernel hooks at least, as you need to intercept all writes. Should Fusion do this? Probably not - it's a failure in OS X's abilities, and not at all related to the core problem of virtualization.

0 Kudos
lensv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You are probably right. It's not very likely that we will see VSS or a similar service implemented in OS X, at least not in a near future.

On the other hand, If we're willing to accept snapshots within our virtual machines I still don't believe that it would be very hard to make an internal backup system to work.

0 Kudos