VMware Communities
seanb724
Contributor
Contributor

Backing up My Documents

Hi, I am new to Fusion, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to backup "My Documents" on my Virtual Machine (win XP). I'm using chronosync on the Mac side, and can back up various folders in /Users//... With Parallels you can see the actual folders/files, but with Fusion, you can not.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sean

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Wes_W_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Three suggestions:[/u]

1) Shared Host Directory & Move My Documents Directory:[/b] First, create a shared directory with Fusion with a Mac directory visible in your XP VM. Next, tell your XP user account to either move or simply point to a new location for your XP My Documents data. (right-click 'My Documents' then 'Properties' then 'Target Folder Location') The negative side to this is that your important application data is stored elsewhere in XP. Potential trouble may arise if you are unfamiliar with how OS X file permissions work and are changed.

2) Scheduled XP Backup to Shared Host Folder:[/b] Rather than redirect where your My Documents folder resides in XP, simply use XP's built-in backup program to create backups of your My Documents directory and/or any other directories, but here's the good stuff, have the backup written to the shared host folder which resides in your OS X home folder.

3) Backup Entire VM:[/b] Simply backup your entire Fusion directory in your Mac. This will capture the entire VM and all of it's contents, but wastes some disk space by backing up the entire VM virtual disk...which you may or may not care about. This takes the most disk space, but is easy and fast. This is the method I use and prefer. Disk space is cheap these days, especially if you backup to external hard drives.

0 Kudos
seanb724
Contributor
Contributor

Regarding #3, is there a way to recover individual files from within the VM without using Fusion? I hate to get 3rd party data files tied up with no way out like that...

Thanks,

Sean

0 Kudos
Mac_hatter
Contributor
Contributor

From within Windows you should be able to run any native backup or cloning software.

0 Kudos
Wes_W_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Regarding #3, is there a way to recover individual

files from within the VM without using Fusion? I

hate to get 3rd party data files tied up with no way

out like that...

Not that I'm aware of, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable may refute my findings.

Although there are loads of users expressing issues using Fusion on the forums, I'm 100% confident Fusion would work fine as long as my data files aren't damaged, and I keep temporal backups just in case one backup is corrupted.

There is never any substitute for a good backup system. And by good, I mean don't rely on any backup system until tested through to recovery.

0 Kudos
seanb724
Contributor
Contributor

I've used Mozy and Crashplan (as well as others!) from within Windows... But I would prefer to do the backup from within the Mac if it is possible... I already have a nice little set up going there, I'm just finding it hard to find the docs within the VM I want to backup. 😕

/Sean

0 Kudos