VMware Communities
Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Backing Up Quicken in Windows 8.1

Created a new VMWare Fusion, installed Windows 8.1. 

With Windows XP, I was able to use Quicken's backup feature and back up to an external hard drive with no problem.  Now with Windows 8.1, I use Quicken's backup feature>This PC>external hard drive.  I am asked if I want to replace the previous backup, so I click OK.  However, unlike before, the date modified does not change, which makes me think that I haven't actually backed up anything.  FileHistory's date modified does change.

Do I have reason for concern?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I'd say this is more a question for Quicken Support as this is really not a VMware issue per se.

Obviously the onus to ensure proper User Data backups is on you, after all it's your User Data and only you can determine if your backups contains the information they'er supposed to.

That said, if the Date/Time Stamp on the backed up files are the same as the source files then it a reasonable assumption that the backup is current and correct however if you're not sure then you might want to make a copy of the current working files used by Quicken then restore from backup and see if everything is there.  If not I'd suggest working with Quicken Support to resolve your Quicken Backup issue.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello Marjean,

Marjean wrote:

However, unlike before, the date modified does not change, which makes me think that I haven't actually backed up anything.  FileHistory's date modified does change.

I am assuming you are talking about Windows Explorer file date stamps here.

There are some settings in a vmx configuration file that can disallow the refresh of a shared folder, but seems you are talking about an external usb disk so that should not even apply here.

Just a few troubleshooting tips that might help identifying some cause...

Have you tried forcing a refresh in windows explorer (F5 or refresh button in the address bar) ?

If you create a new file on that usb disk does it have the date you expect?

If you update that file, does the time portion change to the time you updated it?

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos