VMware Communities
dorsai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Back up files in a VM to Mac

I will be running WinXP Pro, as a guest OS, on a daily basis to run business software that is only available for Windows. The output from this software is under one directory. it is this directory that I want to back up on a daily basis.

My question is can I use a backup program within Windows, as I do now, to perform a daily backup directly to a folder on the Mac, or possibly a shared folder that will allow Time Machine to backup this folder when it is backing my Mac machine so that all the backups are stored in one central location?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

I will be running Leopard on a shiny new iMac, when it arrives.

Regards,

Darren

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
murreyaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Setup time Machine to exclude the actual VM folder. On the desktop of the VM you should have your Mac Documents folder via "VMWare Shared Folders". Have your backup sw put the backup files there. Time Machine will get it without any special tweaking.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My question is can I use a backup program within Windows, as I do now, to perform a daily backup directly to a folder on the Mac, or possibly a shared folder that will allow Time Machine to backup this folder when it is backing my Mac machine so that all the backups are stored in one central location?

I think that should work.

dorsai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. ANy idea how do do this?

Cheers

0 Kudos
murreyaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Setup time Machine to exclude the actual VM folder. On the desktop of the VM you should have your Mac Documents folder via "VMWare Shared Folders". Have your backup sw put the backup files there. Time Machine will get it without any special tweaking.

0 Kudos
davidb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

>Setup time Machine to exclude the actual VM folder. On the desktop of the VM you should have your Mac Documents folder via "VMWare Shared Folders". Have your backup sw put the backup files there. Time Machine will get it without any special tweaking.

Yes--this is what I do too, but is there a particular reason to have the shared folder on the VM's desktop?

Thank you,

David

0 Kudos
murreyaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Its there by default. I don't know if you could specifically mount the shared folders as a drive. That would be nice.

0 Kudos
dorsai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

: Thanks for the reply. Exactly what I was looking for. As my shiny new iMac has not yet arrived and haven't had the chance to play aorund with this. It will be the first (probably) thing that I need to do is to ensure I have a working XP VM.

Thanks guys :smileyblush:

0 Kudos
rwf3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm new to this (both iMac & Fusion) & I need a little clarification. Does this mean I drag the "VMware Shared Folders" to the VM desktop, then open up the documents folder and put in the folder I want backed up in there? I want to backup Quicken, Palm Desktop, etc. Do I put a shortcut to those programs in the documents folder, or what?

Thanks for any help you can give me with this!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Does this mean I drag the "VMware Shared Folders" to the VM desktop, then open up the documents folder and put in the folder I want backed up in there?

If you used the Easy Install, we'll create a shortcut on the virtual machine's desktop for you pointing at the appropriate place,
.host\Shared Folders You'll also have to have enabled shared folders in the virtual machine's Settings.

0 Kudos
rwf3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I used Easy Install. After This happens

we'll create a shortcut on the virtual machine's desktop for you pointing at the appropriate place,
.host\Shared Folders. You'll also have to have enabled shared folders in the virtual machine's Settings.

Then what do? Do I put a link to the programs I want backed up?

0 Kudos
rwf3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I use a backup program "SecondCopy" in my virtual Windows XP inside my

iMac. What should I specify as my destination folder for SecondCopy?

Also, should I back up my entire virtual c drive or only selected folders?

0 Kudos