VMware Communities
realdannys1
Contributor
Contributor

[BUG] VMWare Fusion 10 miss sees Win 10 CU as Win 8, doesn't install VMWare Tools

As per 8.5, the bug persists into 10. Import Windows 10 Creators Update from a partition (as a boot camp partition) and it now seems the partition just fine (without the boot.ini hack) however it recognises it incorrectly as Windows 8 x64. Further more even if you leave it as this, or change it to Win 10 x64, VMWare Tools are not installed automatically as they should be.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Does VMware Tools install manually?  Does this appear with a new virtual machine as well?

0 Kudos
realdannys1
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, you can install it manually. The problem is i've set our deployment image at 200% DPI so it displays properly on the retina monitors we use - however without VMWare Tools installed this means the resolution is super low in VMWare Tools, so low you can't even see the full installation screen - so the novice uses can't even see where to click next and might not have the knowledge to scroll to do so.

I assume if you do a fresh install via Boot Camp it might well work properly but i'm deploying an image from WinClone and it used to work just fine before the Creators Update and the issues with VMWare not seeing any volumes. Now it sees the volume, although the incorrect version and doesn't automatically install the tools like it should.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I would guess that WinClone isn't perfectly compatible with Boot Camp and what Fusion expects to see.  If a clean install works, I'd work with their support to see what's missing/wrong in the clone process.

0 Kudos
realdannys1
Contributor
Contributor

well technically Winclone doesn't do anything but take an exact clone of the disk - (hence the name) and by that I mean a byte by byte clone of the hard drive structure not a file copy.

0 Kudos
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi realdannys1 ,

You could install vmware tools manually by selecting 'Virtual Machine'-> 'Install VMware Tools'.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Yes, for the partition itself, but it can't necessarily update the bootstrap configuration that Apple manages in the boot loader and EFI partitions, and that may be what Fusion is looking at.

0 Kudos
realdannys1
Contributor
Contributor

Actually that's incorrect - Winclone recreates the EFI too and creates the boot loader too - whats exactly how it makes it bootable on a Mac, it just does what Boot Camp does (and why you need to turn SIP off otherwise you can't write to the boot sectors)

Regardless, even if it didn't - this is still a VMWare Fusion bug. It should be a simple implementation, if you're create a new Boot Camp VM then VMWare Tools are installed automatically like they always were before the creators update - it shouldn't matter about anything else - if you create new just install them automatically.

0 Kudos