VMware Communities
samy364
Contributor
Contributor

[BUG] Guest system crash when loading Java on Fusion 5.0.2

Hello,

I have been experiencing guest OS crashes every time I try to load a web page that uses java.  Even when i go to control panel > Programs and try to run the Java console the OS crashes (screenshot and bug report of the error are attached).  I did not have this issue when running 5.0.1 and it only starting happening after the update to 5.0.2.

Host: MBP Retina, Mid 2012 / OSX 10.8.2

Guest: Windows 7 64bit

Fusion 5.0.2

I have tried the following:

1) Uninstall / reinstall Java

2) Uninstall / reinstall VMware tools

3) Changed browser from IE9 to Chrome

Has anyone seen this issue or know a fix? this is hindering me from doing my work and i'm open to downgrading to 5.0.1 again if there is a possible way.

Thanks,

Sam

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Sam, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

There's an incompatibility between Fusion 5.0.x and a very recent Mac OS software update for Mid-2012 Macbook Pro and Macbook Air systems.  Downgrading to Fusion 5.0.1 again probably won't help -- although I'd be interested to hear if it does!

As a workaround until we figure out how to address the problem, with your VM powered off, go into the Virtual Machine > Settings, then choose Display, and turn off the Accelerate 3D Graphics option.  Then close the Settings window and try to power on your VM.  You'll lose 3D acceleration but it should no longer crash.

Please let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

--

Darius

samy364
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Darius,

That resolved it. Now I can catch up on my work Smiley Happy

Thank you for you help!!

Sam,

0 Kudos
wurz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Darius,

Just to say I have this problem on my Retina Macbook, and changing the Accelerate 3D Graphics option fixed it for me too.

Please reply to the thread when you have found a fix!

Thanks

Wurz

0 Kudos
wrhahn
Contributor
Contributor

I have a different SOLUTION WORKAROUND depending on your needs.  Here's what I have found.

My Favorite Alternative Workaround Solution >>> Use Java SE 5 (jre-1_5_0_22-windows-i586-p.exe) - When JRE5 is installed into Win7 Guest, Java Applets no longer crash Fusion Guest, even while 3D Acceleration is turned ON in VMWare Win7 Guest Settings.  Sure, Java SE 5 (a.k.a. jre-1_5) is downlevel from jre7, but my Java Applets seem to run fine with that.

Note: I tried jre6 and that still crashed my Win7 Guest while 3D Acceleration was turned on.  Java SE 5 jre1_5 was the newest java that did not crash my Win7 Guest while 3D Acceleration is turned on in VMWare Guest Settings.

My DETAILS:

I am running a Windows 7 Guest on VMWare Fusion V5.0.2 and have experienced the same crash situation with the latest Mac OS X "Mid 2012 MacBook update".

Consistent with what was mentioned previously in this post, when I try to run the Java console or launch an applet from a web page, my Win7 Guest crashes/hangs and VMWare Fusion gracefully forces me to "Restart" my Windows Guest VM.

The Solution Workaround mentioned earlier in this post, Turning off 3D acceleration in the settings of your VMWare Fusion Windows Guest, does indeed  work for me and allows me to run Java Applets and/or the Java Control Panel/Console WITHOUT crashing the  Windows guest.  Thank you very much for sharing that.

HOWEVER, I have found that my Windows 7 Guest has GLITCHY screen repaint issues and some key programs like Windows Media Player perform with strange behavior while 3D Acceleration is turned off in settings of Windows VMWare Guest.  For example, Windws Media Player does not size MP4 movies correctly and their resolution looks bad.  Therefore, I have been motivated to find some way to run a Windows Guest with 3D Accelration turned on AND with Java installed. 

SUMMARY:

The net of what you will read below is that I can run Java with 3D Acceleration Turned on, without crashing my VMWare Guest, by either:

(1) Installing a downlevel of Java in a Win7 Guest (jre1.5 a.k.a. Java SE 5) or

(2) Installing the latest java jre7u9 in a WinXP Guest

DETAILS BELOW:

1) Installing JRE1.5 "jre-1_5_0_22-windows-i586-p.exe" into a Win7 Guest, after Uninstalling all Java via Programs and Features, enables me to run Java Applets without crashing my Windows 7 Guest with 3D Accel turned on or off.  This is my favorite approach because I can run with 3D Accel turned on AND run Java Applets on Win7.

Here's a link to the Java SE 5 jre-1_5* download in the official Java Download Archive on Oracle website:

> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javasebusiness/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase5-41941...

2) A simpler but less functional workaround to AVOID crashes all together in my Win7 Guest is to Uninstall all Java via Programs and Features.  Since I don't run Java Applets very often, this was a practical work around for me, especially since I have an extra WinXP guest for running Java Applets...as described below in #3.

3) Install jre7u9 or latest JRE into a WinXP VMWare Fusion Guest.  I found that VMWare Fusion v502 with 3D Accel turned on using a WinXP Guest with jre7u9 did NOT crash.  To be clear my Win7 Guest with 3D Accel turning on with latest JRE7u9 crashed when running applets...while a WinXP Guest with 3D Accel on with latest jre7u9 did NOT crash when running applets or the Java Console/Control Panel.

I hope this helps the community.

0 Kudos
samy364
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wrhahn,

Thanks for providing an alternative solution which does work.  However, the database that I use for work does not support Java release 5 so i'm forced to upgrade to 6 patch 37 in order to run the database.

I will admit, I really miss having hardware acceleration on.

I'm sure this will help other member who are not required to run a higher release of Java.

Cheers!!

0 Kudos
dburkland
Contributor
Contributor

I'm glad I found this post, I just ran into the same issue today on my MBP. I have disabled 3D acceleration as Darius suggested and all Java 6 applications work without issue.

Thanks!

Dan

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Java 5 is pretty out of date anyway, and (if I remember correctly) riddled with security issues.

I think we're going to see more issues like this in OSX guests, since all current Mac's have 3d capabilities.  It'll get particuarly bad once 10.9 comes out and folks start dropping 10.7 support.  Developers will assume that 3d is on the system and things will break without it.

So here's another vote (or a reissue of a previous vote) for 3d support in OSX guests!

0 Kudos
nosajis
Contributor
Contributor

I have also experienced this.  I just recently updated to 5.0.2 and fusion has become fairly unstable for me.

Host:

Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2012

Processor  2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory  16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Software  OS X 10.8.2 (12C3006)

Guests:

Windows XP

Windows 7

-Jason

0 Kudos
nosajis
Contributor
Contributor

How can we get more support for this issue?  Does anyone know if a fix is on the way?

0 Kudos
ShaneAM
Contributor
Contributor

Ditto...running 2012 MBP and need the JRE to run some applets in my Windows 7 guest.  I have turned of 3D acceleration on the virutal machine and java crash in the host is fixed, but I need the 3D acceleration for the 3D modleling applications I run within the guest.  Hope there is a fix soon

0 Kudos
nosajis
Contributor
Contributor

Happy new year.

Does anyone know if this is a registered, actual bug and what url we can view to see any updates about it?  It was reported two months ago or longer, haven't seen much movement or information back from VMWare on it.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

It is known, and they are working on it.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

To add to what dlhotka said, VMware does not allow the general public access to their bug tracking system.  Additionally while they are indeed aware of the issue and working on it they usually will not say to much additional until it is fixed internally and ready to release.  In other words we just have to be patient and wait until that time comes (whenever that will be).

That said, any User who originally purchased VMware Fusion 5.0.2 should under the circumstances be eligible for a refund as it is for all intents and purposes a defective product and I'd suggest requesting a refund.

0 Kudos
nosajis
Contributor
Contributor

VMware does not allow the general public access to their bug tracking system. 

This is understandable.  I wanted to have acknowledgment that they are indeed officially pursuing a fix for this issue.  Not necessarily access to their internal tracking systems.  Oh, and some kind of update.

they usually will not say to much additional until it is fixed internally and ready to release.

If that's how they operate that IS up to them.  It's a bit of on archiac approach in todays world.  A little transparency or some kind of update on this thread by the manufacturer if even only to say they are still in hot pursuit of this issue every other week wouldn't kill anyone.  I'm not asking them to exchange tweets with me and embrace the socially awkward world where everyone is your friend.  I am expecting them to post updates on their own forum for a high profile bug in their product.

I don't want my money back.  I want the product I purchased to work.  When it works it's great.  This is a CORE part of my everyday workflow and I'm a big fan of VMWare.  I also have some pretty basic expectations.  Make it work and keep me posted on progress.  All my customers expect this of me.  I don't feel its out of line to expect that of my vendors.

0 Kudos
nosajis
Contributor
Contributor

Another two months later.

Anyone from VMWare care to provide an update or a more in-depth description of why this is happening?

0 Kudos
AaronPartida
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dariusd,

This is a problem at the company I work for still.  I have developers that use their VMs all the time to help them develope in Windows and they need access to their accelerated graphics, and at the same time need to access our HR system which uses Java.  it would be great if a fix was available.  It looks like this question was submitted months ago.  We already had to purchase more licenses because VMware 4 didn't work on Mt Lion and now we finally do and run into this issue.  4 months later it does not look to be solved and I have the latest download, this is unacceptable.  Please advise.

Thanks,

-Aaron

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Aaron,

If your users will only be using Windows virtual machines, there's a chance you may be able to work around the issue by downgrading to Fusion 5.0.1 until the underlying problem is fixed.  Here's the download link.  (Please double-check that the selected version is 5.0.1 before downloading!)

A fix for the issue is in the works, but I can't say when it'll be released.

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
wrhahn
Contributor
Contributor

dariusd,

Do you have any idea if Fusion V6 fixes this problem with Java crashing Win7 Guests?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi wrhahn,

A fix contained in OS X 10.8.3 addresses a problem encountered on 10.8.2 hosts which would cause Fusion to crash when Java was launched in a Windows VM with 3D acceleration enabled.  If you've updated your host to OS X 10.8.3 or newer and are still encountering problems, you're looking at a different problem – If so, please post more details (perhaps in a new thread) and we can help investigate.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos