VMware Communities
jyeaman
Contributor
Contributor

BUG_CODE_USB_DRIVER WindowsXP

Greetings,

I saw this code listed relating to printer issues, but my situation doesn't seem to be related to printing problems. Randomly over the last few weeks my VM Fusion Windows XP will give me the blue screen of death (yes, even virtually!) and has dsiplayed the BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER error. A couple of times I did have a powered USB hub plugged into my MBP, but others there was no USB device plugged in. However, I do have a Bluetooth mouse and I noticed that in the VM menu the Bluetooth adaptor is shown under the USB menu, but the choice is to Connect to Apple Bluetooth controller. Since the mouse is working on both the host and guest at the same time, I don't think I need to connect?

Anyone else have any ideas or a similar situation?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I do have a Bluetooth mouse and I noticed that in the VM menu the Bluetooth adaptor is shown under the USB menu, but the choice is to Connect to Apple Bluetooth controller. Since the mouse is working on both the host and guest at the same time, I don't think I need to connect?

This is unrelated. You don't have to connect the Bluetooth adapter, and actually, if you do, it'd be bad (because then the host can't see it). Fusion is presenting a PS/2 or USB mouse to the guest.

My only suggestion would be to treat this as if it was a physical computer and follow normal Windows debugging procedures - running in a virtual machine doesn't automatically free you from guest problems Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
junkshow
Contributor
Contributor

My only suggestion would be to treat this as if it was a physical computer and follow normal Windows debugging procedures - running in a virtual machine doesn't automatically free you from guest problems Smiley Happy

I don't think so. I encounter this BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER at least once a day when running VMWare Fusion, as well. I never experienced it prior to 2.0, and I never experience it when running bootcamp. This is definitely a Fusion problem, and definitely introduced in 2.0.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think so. I encounter this BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER at least once a day when running VMWare Fusion, as well. I never experienced it prior to 2.0, and I never experience it when running bootcamp. This is definitely a Fusion problem, and definitely introduced in 2.0.

Because of all the issues with Fusion 2.0 I will would not arbitrarily dismiss it either however to troubleshoot a BSOD this requires first debugging the information presented in the BSOD and for that one need to turn to Microsoft so I'd start with looking at Bug Check 0xFE: BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER and disseminate the information in the BSOD accordingly and go from there.

You should also make sure that you're creating a memory dump file that can be analyzed to help diagnose the issue so have a look at the following: How to configure system failure and recovery options in Windows

To start I would have it set like in the image below.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not saying it's not a Fusion problem, but even if it is introduced in 2.0, we might merely be the unfortunate trigger somehow. Regardless, Woody's suggestions are good, and are what you would do on a physical Windows system, so I stand by my suggestion Smiley Happy (I just didn't know the details, not being familiar with Windows).

0 Kudos
dgarnier
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know if you are still looking into this... but I've recently begun to see this with great frequency. Here's what I see on the BSOD.

BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER

Technical information:

• STOP: 0x000000FE (0x00000005, 0x8198C0E0, 0x80867122, 0x8199B720)

which according to Microsoft is....

"A hardware failure has occurred due to a bad physical address found in a hardware data structure. This is not due to a driver bug."

The PCI device is the 0x80867122 part..

"0x8086","0x7112","Intel Corporation","82371AB/EB/MB","PIIX4/4E/4M USB Interface"

The last pointer is the bad hardware structure... I'll try to get if for you on the next crash. Definitely seems like a VMware bug to me. (I'm running VMware Fusion 2.0.1)

0 Kudos
dbranca
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting the exact same error, and only after updating to fusion 2.0.2. Anything new on this issue?

0 Kudos
dgarnier
Contributor
Contributor

The bug has certainly not been fixed in Fusion 2.0.2. I tend to "disconnect" my USB peripherals often so I don't see it every day. But sure enough, if I forget and leave one particular on connected, it will blue screen by the next morning. (If anyone cares, its Segger J-Link J-tag device).

0 Kudos
jyeaman
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all the thoughts on the error. It seems to me that it might possibly have something to do with memory - maybe the size of the VM file? I'm using Outlook in cached mode, so if I keep my mailbox cleaned out, and the recycle bin emptied I am less likely to see the blue screen errors. I also have my "My Documents" folder syncing to the server and moved some of the bigger files out of there so they no longer sync and I think that may have helped as well. The blue screen errors are almost like cluster headaches - I'll get several of them in one day, and then none for weeks.

0 Kudos
MiltonKuo
Contributor
Contributor

I have also had problems with VMware Fusion 2.0x causing a crash in the guest operating system. I am currently using v2.02 and have gotten the exact same BSOD error as the originator of this thread. I have attached a screen shot of the BSOD as well as the minidump created by Windows in the hope that someone at VMware might be able to figure out what's causing this problem.

My guest operating system, for which I have given 1 GB of RAM and 1 CPU, is Windows XP Professional SP3 with all Windows Update patches installed. The host is a MacBook Pro with 4 GB of RAM running Mac OS 10.5.6.

There are no extra devices such as printers, mice, or external keyboards attached to the Mac.

For what it's worth, I have seen another type of crash (which does not seem to generate a dump file) where as Windows XP boots, it crashes before the GUI is started. When the crash occurs, Windows automatically restarts so I don't know exactly what is output on the console.

0 Kudos
jaydear
Contributor
Contributor

I have started suffering these BSOD's too. In my case the BSOD closes itself and XP attempts to restart, but freezes. The only way I have found out of this is to get back to OS X and force it to restart. There does not seem to be any way to shut down Fusion apart from this. When everything restarts Win XP says it has recovered from a serious error with the following info...

BCCode : fe BCP1 : 00000005 BCP2 : 86C180E0 BCP3 : 80867112

BCP4 : 86B96B68 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1

I have set up the Startup and Recovery options as suggested above... see attached minidump files.

Looking in the Device Manager I see several USB-related settings. Power management for both USB Root Hubs is off... maybe it should be on?

I have had the crash with and without a USB printer attached, and with and without a USB key plugged into the port on the RHS of the MacBook Pro.

There don't seem to be any USB settings in Mac OS X like we have in Windows - maybe they are buried somewhere and need setting up for VM useage?

I wonder if the little camera above the screen is causing a drama when it sees something it doesn't like (Me?) - Ha ha!

C'mon VMware developers - we need our stability back.

MacBook Pro 15" - OS X 10.5.6 - Fusion 2.0.2 b146107 - VM XP Pro SP3 1Gig RAM

MacBook Pro 15" 4Gigs RAM - OS X 10.6.8 - Fusion 4.0.2 - VMs: XP Pro SP3 & Win 7 Home Premium SP1 2GB RAM each
0 Kudos
shutterbug
Contributor
Contributor

I too am getting this same BUG_CODE error which causes my WINXP Vers 2002 SP3 guest to blue screen and restart. I'm running VMWARE Vers 2.0.2 (147997). I started to get this error after installing and playing MS Flight Sim X. Microsoft Technical Support is telling me this is a "hardware issue". The Windows message that come back after it reboots says something about power management (of the USB port??)??

Is this some way of WMWARE to keep me from getting to addicted to playing Flight SIM?

0 Kudos
KarriC
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've received the BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER once since updating to Fusion 2.0.2. I've since upgraded to 2.0.3 and just got the BSOD again just now - same error. I've attached a screengrab of the BSOD -- it seems to be the same as dgarnier.

The VM is a windows xp sp3 that was created P2V (using converter) way back when... in case that's important for hardware troubleshooting.

I'm running Fusion 2.0.3 on a MBP with 4GB RAM, 1GB devoted to the VM. The VM itself is running on an external FW800 drive. Think this has anything to do with it? I notice the BSODs both happened while mousing heavily, usually when accessing the opposite side of the screen (Apple BT mouse, wired apple keyboard).

I'm running in Single Window mode.

0 Kudos
zkzkz
Contributor
Contributor

Well I'm seeing the same problem. Hard to believe 8 months with no solution? Surely somebody out there has found a trick to work around this issue?

0 Kudos
pixtmp
Contributor
Contributor

I experience exactly the same thing as KarriC's attached screenshot above (BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER, 0x000000FE (0x00000005, ...) when I connect the Samsung SCX-45000W-printer or the iPhone. Sandisk Cruzer Micro USB-pen works fine though. Im on VMware Workstation 6.5.2 build-156735 with WinXP SP3 as guest. Host is Ubuntu 8.10.

0 Kudos