VMware Communities
hobbes444
Contributor
Contributor

BSoD after upgrading RAM

I upgraded from 2 x 2GB to 2 x 4GB, and suddenly, Fusion would crash everytime I would allocate it more than 1GB in the prefs.

Checked:

– doesn’t happen in native mode (boot camp)

– ran Apple and Windows memory checks

Tried:

– buying other RAM (same problem exactly): so I know the RAM is not defective

– removing the boot camp partitions from the Library and re-adding it.

– repairing permissions

– rebooting in windows or in OS X multiple times

The only thing left I have is completely reinstalling windows, but I really would like to hear if anybody out here has a better (and less time consuming) idea.

The very curious thing for me is this memory allocation thing: at 1GB no problem, at 1,5GB it’s already BSoDing after a couple of minutes. And only in Fusion, not in Boot Camp native mode. I even opened a 2GB pdf and another 1GB document in native mode in order to use as much RAM as possible, but no BSoD.

Fusion 3.1.2, OS X 10.6.6 and Windows 7 ultimate 64bit.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
hobbes444
Contributor
Contributor

Correction: now it happens even with only 1GB of ram allocated in Fusion.

Still not able to make it crash in native mode.

0 Kudos
hobbes444
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like it’s a problem with the number of cores, not the memory. If I choose more than 1 core, it crashes all the time.

Any clue why? Now my problem is kind of solved, since I don’t use anything very cpu intensive in the VM, I don’t need the 2 cores. But I still don’t know why this would happen…

0 Kudos
vvegas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Perhaps your system was installed with the uni-procesor kernel instead of the multi-processor kernel.  See if you can catch the error on the blue-screen and look it up on Microsoft's support site.  I thought in Win 7 they put the mpk on by default, but maybe not.

Here's one link I found that may be helpful:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/71519d51-f6cb-47df-b3ff-66c2928d6...

0 Kudos