VMware Communities
nekosan
Contributor
Contributor

BSOD trying to use a Boot Camp Partion

I'm currently using parallels with boot camp and it seems to work flawlessly with Windows XP Home Edition. The only problem that I've seen is that my keyspan USB serial port does not work. It has some weird issues with time running solaris sxde (b50). I've download the latest fusion with a trial key and solaris seems quite happy with sxde build 70. However, I get the BSOD when I try and boot my boot camp partition. Below is the output of diskutil list:

2-$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *93.2 Gi disk0

1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS 9A581 37.5 Gi disk0s2

3: Apple_HFS Data 37.5 Gi disk0s3

4: Microsoft Basic Data WINDOWS 17.6 Gi disk0s4

Note that I do have two HFS+ paritions. Both Boot camp and Parallels are happy with this configuration. I would buy a license to fusion if I can get this to work reasonably. Is there any magic that needs to be done moving from a boot camped parallels to a boot camped fusion? This is fusion 1.1 (62573)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

At the least, you're going to have to tell us what the BSOD stop code is.

0 Kudos
nekosan
Contributor
Contributor

Could you tell me how to obtain that? Is it logged somewhere? I can see a hex number very briefly on the screen, but then I get the apology screen with options to boot windows.

Thanks

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Could you tell me how to obtain that? Is it logged somewhere?

Look in Event Viewer, click the Start button and in the Search box type "eventvwr.msc /s" (without the quotes) and then click OK or press Enter...

Edit: Added Content.

If you want to stop a BSOD from automatically rebooting the system...

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

If My Computer is not on the Desktop then click Start > Run > type "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) then click OK or press Enter then continue with step 2.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As an alternative to what Woody suggested, you could also disable automatic restart and transcribe or screenshot the BSOD. links to instructions.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

As an alternative to what Woody suggested, you could also disable automatic restart

By the time stamps on our posts you must have clicked the same time I clicked when adding the directions to stop the BSOD from rebooting. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
nekosan
Contributor
Contributor

OK, thanks that helped. Here is the complete info.

Fusion 1.1 Build 62573

Mac Book Pro Core Duo (Fairly early model)

Trying to boot Windows XP Home edition always fails with

• STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF8958524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Attached is the screen grab. I should say I've beta tested fusion and tried the 1.0 and 1.1 release with the same result. Parallels has worked well, but now I also want to run Solaris and there are some issues there with parallels. Hence why I'm trying again. Thanks very much for your quick responses. Here is the diskutil output again:

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *93.2 Gi disk0

1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS 9A581 37.5 Gi disk0s2

3: Apple_HFS Data 37.5 Gi disk0s3

4: Microsoft Basic Data WINDOWS 17.6 Gi disk0s4

Device Identifier: disk0s4

Device Node: /dev/disk0s4

Part Of Whole: disk0

Device / Media Name: DOS_FAT_32_Untitled_2

Volume Name: WINDOWS

Mount Point: /Volumes/WINDOWS

File System: MS-DOS FAT32

Partition Type: Microsoft Basic Data

Bootable: Is bootable

Media Type: Generic

Protocol: SATA

SMART Status: Verified

Total Size: 17.6 Gi (18925305856 B) (36963488 512-byte blocks)

Free Space: 5.2 Gi (5633015808 B) (11001984 512-byte blocks)

Read Only: No

Ejectable: No

Whole: No

Internal: Yes

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

This is one of the known issues discussed in the Fusion Release Notes. In particular a couple of notes may apply:

Using the Boot Camp partition as a virtual machine can, in a few instances, result in a corrupted Boot Camp partition.

There currently is no known workaround. Work is in progress on this problem.

This has been revealed to manifest itself with Stop code 0x7B. VMware is working to clarify this issue in the release notes. The updated release notes may not be updated during the holidays. Please review this thread with the latest information courtesy of VMware employee .

Microsoft Windows sometimes fails when you attempt to run the Boot Camp partition as a virtual machine.

In some cases, attempting to run your Boot Camp partition as a VMware Fusion virtual machine might result in Windows failing. If this happens, editing the Boot Camp virtual machine .vmx file might possibly fix the problem. One thing to try is to open the .vmx file and delete the line that reads

scsi0.present = "TRUE".

To find the .vmx file for the Boot Camp virtual machine, go to the virtual machine's package at

<your home folder>/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/<disk identifier>/Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm.

Right-click on the package, choose Show Package Contents, and open the .vmx file shown in the package.

This may help or not.

0 Kudos
nekosan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. Alas no soup for me. Still BSOD with stop code 7B. I've attached my vmware.log

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry there is no log attached. Smiley Sad You can try to make an archive (.zip file) and the forums software might accept that. Have you tried deleting the Boot Camp partition folder and having Fusion re-process the partition? The Boot Camp partition folder can be located via the Finder Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp (<- copy and paste this). The open the %2Fdev%2Fdisk... folder and delete the Boot Camp partition bundle.

Last resort is to perform a Windows repair installation with the VMware SCSI disk drivers in a Windows OS installer format. The virtual floppy you need to supply is available for download here: http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/drivers_tools.html Choose SCSI drivers. You'll need to go through the Windows install, pressing F6 to load the SCSI drivers (via the virtual floppy file), the at OS installation choose "R=Repair" instead of replacing the whole OS. This is laborious but always works. Warning if your copy of Windows requires activation going through this will cause you to reactivate again.

0 Kudos
nekosan
Contributor
Contributor

Seems to have been a parallels issue. I need to rearrange my disk, so I did a fresh install of Boot Camp and Fusion could find and run it just fine. However fusion runs all my devices just fine from a "real" vm, so no more boot camp for me.

bill

0 Kudos