VMware Communities
tyeguy37
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Avast users in Fusion VM

Hello all users of Avast anti-virus in your Windows virtual machines!

I have read that several people, including big-wigs like WoodyZ, are using Avast, which is my overall favorite antivirus app. The only trouble I have is that it seems to make my use of Shared Folders very, very slow. If I disable On-access Protection, everything flies, but when it's enabled, things just take way too long. I have moved files like My Documents over to the Mac host, and I access them from my WinXPPro vm, but it's just too slow with Avast.

How do you all manage with Avast and Shared Folders? Do you have any tips for me?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Now, I have tried that, but my username doesn't show up in the list. Does that mean that since I am using my AD network login I can't do this?

Sorry I barely read the first sentence and just replied when I read "so if you wouldn't mind walking me through it". Smiley Happy Unfortunately your ability to access shared resources between the Virtual Machine and the Host via the LAN is going to be governed by the policies of the AD and this is why VMware Shares Folders would be real nice if they worked well under all conditions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How do you all manage with Avast and Shared Folders?

Well simply put, I just do not use VMware Shared Folders in Windows and instead use SMB/CIFS Shares however when 2.0.2 was release there was a thread that got a lot of response from VMware Developers on this and hopefully there will be a resolution to this issue in the near future.

The Avast issue was covered in this thread:

tyeguy37
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Woody,

I have read about this several times about using SMB/CIFS shares, and I would love to know how to do this, so if you wouldn't mind walking me through it, I would greatly appreciate it. Here's my setup:

Mac host is joined to Active Directory domain

WinXPPro Fusion guest is also joined to the same Active Directory domain

I would like to share my Mac user folder

Thanks!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Finder (menu bar) > Help > type SMB/CIFS then select Setting up a Mac computer to share files with Windows users

From the Virtual Machine you access it from Windows Explorer using the following convention.

\\Computer_Name\Share_Name

Or

\\Computer_IP_Address\Share_Name

0 Kudos
tyeguy37
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Now, I have tried that, but my username doesn't show up in the list. Does that mean that since I am using my AD network login I can't do this?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sorry I barely read the first sentence and just replied when I read "so if you wouldn't mind walking me through it". Smiley Happy Unfortunately your ability to access shared resources between the Virtual Machine and the Host via the LAN is going to be governed by the policies of the AD and this is why VMware Shares Folders would be real nice if they worked well under all conditions.

0 Kudos
tyeguy37
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So is there no way to do it apart from over the LAN? I would prefer it, because when I have done the SMB sharing over the LAN as you have suggested, it only worked while I was connected to the LAN. Where I would love it to work as Shared Folders works now, where I don't need to be connected to the LAN to access my files. So I really do hope that they get Shared Folders working properly, as you have said. Thanks so much for your assistance today, Woody!

0 Kudos
tyeguy37
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Looks like 2.0.5 has really resolved this issue! Thank goodness!! I am now fully satisfied the VMware Fusion.

0 Kudos