VMware Communities
MarkHD
Contributor
Contributor

Automating USB device hook up

I have ordered Fusion 5.0 so I could use Win XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, OS X 10.5 Server, OS X 10.6 Server on one Mac mini.

I have noticed that my USB device can only be connected to one OS at the time. I have a software that will be installed in each of those OSes and automatically tested nightly by a script (also one for each OS). However, the software needs access to the USB device. Is there a simple way to automate the switching of the the USB device from one OS to another? I'm hoping there is some CLI tool that can be easily put in a script so I don't have to use AutoIt. I'd appreciate any help!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Thanks for using Fusion. I don't believe we have a command to switch USB device between VMs.

I am not sure how your application interact with USB device, so if you connect your USB device to Mac host, and enable shared folder for different VMs, then you can access USB device at the same time.

This does NOT work when your application have special requirement (USB device connected only).

If shared folder doesn't fit for you, you may try Mac UI automation tools to control the USB connection/disconnection. Such as Sikuli or ATOMAC.

0 Kudos
MarkHD
Contributor
Contributor

Tracy,

The device I'm using is a Bluetooth development board so I don't think sharing will work. I think you were talking about USB storage device where you can share the folders on the USB device.

I will take a look at Sikuli and ATOMAC thanks!!!

0 Kudos