VMware Communities
GavinF
Contributor
Contributor

AutoCAD - How Can I Get the Backspace Key to Work?

Hi All,

First post hear and I hope someone can help!

I recently purchased a nice, shiny new MacBook Pro on which I am running Fusion and AutoCAD 2008. Firstly, I would like to say what an amazing piece of kit Fusion is! However, the one slight flaw which is starting to annoy me more and more is that when running AutoCAD the backspace key does not delete, i.e. if I have selected a line I wish to erase I would hit the backspace key and it will be gone. I have been using AutoCAD on PCs for years so I instinctively keep heading for that backspace key!

I'm sure this problem rates as pretty insignificant, but I think I might go mad if I can't fix it

Many thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide and hope to hear from somebody soon!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sailesh_a
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi, Mac keyboards and Windows keyboards have a slightly different naming convention for the backspace key.

On the Mac, there's a "delete" key above "\". This is the same as the windows backspace key.

Mac's also have a "forward delete" key. On external keyboards this is below the "help" key. On laptop keyboards you need to press "fn Delete". This is the same was the windows "delete" key.

When you were using AutoCAD on a PC did you press Backspace or Delete?

If you were pressing delete then you'll need to press the Mac "forward Delete" key.

If this doesn't help I can try running AutoCAD and see what's going on.

Good luck!

Sailesh

GavinF
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, still not there yet though. If I am in Windows and use, say, Notepad then my backspace key (immediately above my return key) deletes text behind the cursor. If I hold down my "function" key and press backspace then the cursor forward deletes. So it does work in Windows!

However! When I'm in Autocad the backspace key does nothing, not even wih the function key pressed.

I hope I've managed to explain that clearly enough? 😕

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos