VMware Communities
jonathan_haywar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Auto-unchecking "Enabled" for shared folder?

I have Fusion 1.1.1 on OS X 10.5 with an Ubuntu 6.10 guest and am trying to get shared folders to work. I am trying to place the root of the host filesystem ("Macintosh HD") as a shared folder, "Host."

In the control panels, with or without a boot with "Enabled at power on" checked, with or without powering down the VM, I experience problematic behavior. I can check the "Enabled" box (not "Enabled at power on"), but when I click "Apply" and/or "OK", the box becomes unchecked. I have not yet succeeded in accessing the host filesystem.

Am I correct in reading this as a bug, and is there a solution/update/workaround?

Thanks

Jonathan Hayward

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The proposed workaround is to click "Apply" instead of "OK." But I tried both "Apply" and "OK," and the changes did not stick at all when I clicked "Apply."

Am I missing something?[http://JonathansCorner.com/]

Regardless of what the release note say, here is what I do...

What I do is check the Enabled at power on check box and click the Apply button and then the check is removed however I check it again and click the Apply button and the second time the check stays and then click the OK button and then start the Virtual Machine.

I figured that out before VMware published what they did in the release notes however if you just click the Enabled at power on check box and click the Apply button once and even though the check is removed if you then click the OK button and start the Virtual Machine the Shared Folders will be enabled as you can look at the Settings sheet after starting the Virtual Machine and see that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you read the Release Notes? (http://www.vmware.com/support/fusion/doc/releasenotes_fusion.html)

Look at: Changes to the shared folder settings might not take effect.

0 Kudos
jonathan_haywar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I looked at that; thanks.

The proposed workaround is to click "Apply" instead of "OK." But I tried both "Apply" and "OK," and the changes did not stick at all when I clicked "Apply."

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Jonathan Hayward

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Am I missing something?[http://JonathansCorner.com/]

Regardless of what the release note say, here is what I do...

What I do is check the Enabled at power on check box and click the Apply button and then the check is removed however I check it again and click the Apply button and the second time the check stays and then click the OK button and then start the Virtual Machine.

I figured that out before VMware published what they did in the release notes however if you just click the Enabled at power on check box and click the Apply button once and even though the check is removed if you then click the OK button and start the Virtual Machine the Shared Folders will be enabled as you can look at the Settings sheet after starting the Virtual Machine and see that.

0 Kudos
jonathan_haywar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Many thanks; this time through, it worked.

Jonathan Hayward

0 Kudos