VMware Communities
RCampbell12
Contributor
Contributor

Apps crash when being closed in Fusion 3.1.2

The immediately previous version of Fusion was very stable for me, so I was a little hesitant to go to 3.1.2, but decided to do it.  I may be regretting that already.  What I am seeing is that oftentimes apps will crash when I'm closing them.  This has happened to WinZip, Skype, and others.  They will work normally, then I'll click the close button in the upper right of the window and they disappear from the screen, but then I get Windows telling me "the program has stopped working" and it gives me a few different options, one of which is just "Close the program", which is what I choose.  This is kind of annoying.

I was trying to get on the VMWare site to research this issue and it was responding very slowly and so I called in and spoke with a sales guy.  He asked if I had installed VMWare Tools.  Well, at some point during the installation of the upgrade - I think it was after the reboot - it indicated I should wait while it completed the installation of VMWare Tools, so I didn't do that installation after the update.  (And it's always seemed odd to me that VMWare Tools should be a separate thing given that it seems so important to the proper operation of the Fusion product.)

Is anyone else seeing this behavior?  I'm on OSX 10.6.5.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Did the VMware Tools update? Check. Right-click the vmware icon in the notification area of the taskbar and choose "Open VMware Tools". Check the About tab. Version should be 8.4.5.

0 Kudos
RCampbell12
Contributor
Contributor

I went ahead and did the VM Tools install earlier, so, yes, it says 8.4.5.  Haven't had any apps crash, but then they weren't doing it every time.  Will have to wait a few days to get a good feeling for whether it's fixed.

0 Kudos
RCampbell12
Contributor
Contributor

Even after the installation of VMWare Tools, I get apps crashing when I am closing them.  It happened last night on Skype, TweetDeck, MS Word, and MS Visual FoxPro.  Now I am regretting my choice to upgrade.  They made a stable version unstable.

0 Kudos