VMware Communities
Troux_Lorin
Contributor
Contributor

Applications not appearing in Launch Application list

I have an app that is installed on the VM (Windows XP) and appears in the Start menu but does not appear in the Launch. In fact I have multiple apps that are in that category. Is there a way to force the Launch menu to update?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The Launch menu doesn't update until after a guest restart. It also only shows the programs for all users, not those for only you (or the other way around, I don't remember).

0 Kudos
Wally_Mac
Contributor
Contributor

I've just started using VMware Fusion (to run Windows) and am finding this little issue somewhat annoying. It seems that even though some/several programs are properly installed and they do show up in y\the Start menu, the Application Launcher does not contain them. Seems to lessen the usefulness of the Unity feature.

Hoping to hear some good news on this fix....

0 Kudos
Wally_Mac
Contributor
Contributor

Have just tried several logical and common sense thing in trying to get the Applications Launch function to update itself to the correct content. After restarting Windows, shutting off and fresh starting, and then completely rebooting the Mac... no luck, the Applications Launch function is still not updating itself to the correct content.

Have also noticed that when I removed a program from windows... even though the Start / Program section was now correct, the Fusion Application Launch are was not updating itself.

0 Kudos
Troux_Lorin
Contributor
Contributor

Well, it seems like a shutdown or two has fixed things. Kind of odd, though.

0 Kudos
jehrler
Contributor
Contributor

At least in my case, it was more than just a Guest restart.

I needed to shut down the Guest. But, that alone was not enough. I then needed to quit Fusion.

Then, after restarting Fusion, then rebooting the Guest, Fusion finally updated the Launch Application List to reflect the changes.

I am using Win2K.

0 Kudos
Troux_Lorin
Contributor
Contributor

Since I am using Fusion and Boot Camp, I do quite a bit of shutting down of the guest. So it's not that much of a problem for me.

0 Kudos