VMware Communities
t8oo8h
Contributor
Contributor

Applications just hang in Windows XP Pro Guest runing on 15" Intel MBP

I would appreciate some help, please. I have a 15" MBP with 4 Gb Ram, (2.6GHz Core 2 Duo). I use Fusion 2.04. I have 2 guests (1) Vista Business 64bit and (2) XP Pro (SP3). The applications on Vista run normally. Some applications on XP pro - just crash and hang and I have to ctrl-Alt-del to clear them. This mainly stops me using a medical MS-SQL proprietary program. But it can also stop Windows IE7 or just browsing the "My Computer" to find a file, etc. Other apps like solitaire and a backup program for the SQL DB seem to work normaly. The XP Pro guest can be very slow to shut down, too.

I have tried to re-install VMFusion over the top of previous versions. I have made sure that all the programs are up to date.

Any help, please!

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If the applications run fine in Vista but not in XP this indicates more of an issue with your windows XP virtual machine rather then Fusion itself. Could go to Fusion's help menu and choose "Collect Support Information" and attach that to your post? We can check a few things in there. Since this sounds more like the windows os having the problem you may want to take a look at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003956. If you're XP vm is set to use two processors try running it with just one. Test the results from increasing the ram. How much space to you have available on your xp c: drive? If there's not much left it may not have enough space for swap. Beyond that the article gives suggestions such as chkdsk, defragment, and other steps.

0 Kudos
t8oo8h
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. On the XP Pro guest - I doubled the RAM and used both cores of the CPU. On the MBP - I repaired permissions. I haven't had any of the same problems again yet. The medical DB seems to run faster, too. That was just the information I wanted, I couldn't find it despite looking around the VMware support pages.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

and used both cores of the CPU. On the MBP

JSYK Running a Virtual Machine with 2 vCPU's under Fusion on any Mac other then a Mac Pro with 4 or more Cores typically yields poorer performance overall.

Also IIRC with Windows XP unless you had 2 vCPU's assigned during the installation it will not be using the correct HAL and Kernel just because you changed it to 2 vCPU's and therefore would not get the performance gain to begin with even with 4 or more cores.

0 Kudos