VMware Communities
DWYutzy
Contributor
Contributor

Apple Wireless Keyboard, Unbuntu, VMWare Fusion Oddity

I have an Apple iMac Intel Core Duo, 20", 2GB RAM, USB mighty mouse, Wireless keyboard (new one, flat) running VMWare Fusion and latest Ubuntu version and when I type, I get different letters. For example, typing the letter Y produces Z on the Ubuntu screen.

Any ideas on this?

I had no issues installing Ubuntu as a VM image, but now I can't login using what I originally typed because all the letters seem bassackwards.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Is this a non-US OS X or keyboard? What is your keyboard profile set to in Ubuntu? Many issues like this due to keyboard profile mismatches either in OS X or the guest OS.

0 Kudos
DWYutzy
Contributor
Contributor

Definitely US, but I think the issue may stem from when I installed Ubuntu I had a USB keyboard and now I have a wireless.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried going into the hardware wizard in Ubuntu and reconfiguring the keyboard? Sometimes you can delete the device and have the OS re-discover it. I haven't done this in Ubuntu but seems easier than re-installing.

0 Kudos
DWYutzy
Contributor
Contributor

Laf, i can't get into the system because I can't login to make this change.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

So I take it the USB keyboard you used to install is not available?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Laf, i can't get into the system because I can't login to make this change.

Unbuntu is extremely easy to install and takes very little time. I would just bite the bullet and reinstall with the new keyboard.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I was trying to save you from re-installing by building/configuring an autologin program that you could run via single-user mode (assuming no password is needed) but the steps are starting to add up, vs. grabbing the original keyboard or re-installing the OS. If you are OK with your guest auto-logging in, auto-login can help you later if you run into a similar problem again. I make all of my guest OS's auto-login, if I can figure out how.

0 Kudos