VMware Communities
giga91
Contributor
Contributor

Apple French Alu keyboard mapping issues with Ubuntu 11.04 & Fusion 3.1.3?

Hello,

I am trying to configure correctly an Ubuntu 11.04 virtual machine on my Imac with Vmware Fusion upgraded to 3.1.3. I use a french (wired) layout Apple aluminium keyboard with numeric keypad.

I have installed VMWare tools again in my Ubuntu VM by launching script with a sudo ./vmware-install.pl command, It seems to be successful.

I still have issues with mapping of several keys.

I made attempts to solve them and the best results I have are :

** First attempt : Let Vmware default options for keyboard mapping in VmWare Fusion->preferences->keyboard&mouse : Enable Language specific key mapping is unchecked (and Enable Key Mapping is checked).

In my Ubuntu11 VM : I Use

Layout France Macintosh
Keyboard model Generic 105 key (intl) PC

Most of key are OK but I have issues with some of them :  

The show current layout item opens a window with a keyboard. When I type keys it highlights the "matching" key on the screen keyboard. Please note that the keyboard displayed on Ubuntu window is perfect : all keys are in the good place. But when I type on my Mac keyboard it higlights unexpected keys on the screen for some keyboard keys : 

For instance when I type on the key at the left of the '1' key, I'd expect @ (and a # if shift key is pressed) and on the screen I can see the 0 key and ISO_L key highlighted (and ISO-L 3 if shift key is pressed).

je vois bien le bon clavier mais quand  je tape sur certaines touches ce n'est pas toujours la touche espérée  qui est highlightée.

Here are the keys which are incorrectly mapped :

-  @/#
-  §/6 (6 is OK)
-  !/8 (8 is OK)
-  Le -/_
-  $/* ($ is OK)
-  =/+
-  `/£

Please note that special characters such as ~ | { } [ ] are perfectly mapped.

I tried to create a .xession file but it doesn't seems to affect anything :

#! /usr/bin/bash

xmodmap -e 'keycode 49 = at numbersign at numbersign bar brokenbar bar'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 15 = section 6 6 asciicircum paragraph aring'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 21 = minus underscore minus underscore VoidSymbol VoidSymbol
 VoidSymbol'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 61 = equal plus equal plus VoidSymbol VoidSymbol VoidSymbol'

Actually I am not sure that the file is taken into account at login, but it is synthaxically correct and is OK if I execute it in a shell (but it doesn't affect anything in my X11 session)

** Second attempt : Customize Vmware options for keyboard mapping in VmWare Fusion->preferences->keyboard&mouse : Enable Language specific key mapping is checked (and Enable Key Mapping is checked too).

In my Ubuntu11 VM : I Use

Layout France
Keyboard model Generic 105 key (intl) PC

Now, keys specified above are perfectly mapped :

-  @/#
-  §/6 (6 is OK)
-  !/8 (8 is OK)
-  Le -/_
-  $/* ($ is OK)
-  =/+
-  `/£

But now I have issues with ~ | { } [ ] \. They seems to be mapped with a AltGr key combination as on a french PC keyboard (but some characters such as { is not accessible with AltGr 4).

I would like to have the behaviour I get with the second attempt for keys :

-  @/#
-  §/6 (6 is OK)
-  !/8 (8 is OK)
-  Le -/_
-  $/* ($ is OK)
-  =/+
-  `/£

And the behaviour of the first attempt (standard mapping for Macintosh keyboards) for:

~ -> alt n

| -> alt shift L

{ -> alt (

} -> alt )

[ -> alt shift (

] -> alt shift )

\ -> alt shift /

In one word : I would like to have a correct mapping for my french Apple Alu keyboard on Ubuntu 11 🙂

I can't imagine that there is no solution for this issue.

Could you please help me?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Gilles

SeeYA
GIGA

0 Kudos
0 Replies