VMware Communities
hrz01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Anyone has experienced glitches while running VM fusion on external SSD?

Hi,

I was running VM fusion on external SSD(860 evo samsung with type C to type C).  Glitches always happen when I try to shutdown my ubuntu in VM fusion( no matter I "sudo shutdown" or jest directly click shutdown button in VM fusion).  I have to reboot my MacBook to solve this problem.I hope someone to tell me how to solve this problem.

Many thanks,

hrz01

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

It did sound familiar which is why I asked.

The reason for this problem then is indeed because of the use of Tuxera and having the external disk formatted as NTFS.

While changing the partition to a native macOS file system should address it, have a look at this thread:

Fusion 11 Trial on Mojave and VM on external SSD

There it is claimed that Tuxera have patched their drivers to fix this particular issue.

Personally I would prefer to keep my VMs on a native file system, but if using NTFS works better for you, then use what works better.

Be careful though with host macOS updates and test the tuxera drivers after an update first with a slightly less important VM.

Another thing to note about running VMs from an external disk is that you should keep good backups (Not Time Machine! ) of your VMs as an accidental disconnect between host and external disk might corrupt the VM. FWIW, I also ran VMs from an external SSD for years without any corruption problems, but it is good to be aware of any potential pitfalls.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

What is the filesystem used for the external disk?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
hrz01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

It is NTFS.I used Tuxera NTFS for mac to access my external disk. Should I change the filesystem of my external disk?

Thanks for your respond,

Haoran

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

It did sound familiar which is why I asked.

The reason for this problem then is indeed because of the use of Tuxera and having the external disk formatted as NTFS.

While changing the partition to a native macOS file system should address it, have a look at this thread:

Fusion 11 Trial on Mojave and VM on external SSD

There it is claimed that Tuxera have patched their drivers to fix this particular issue.

Personally I would prefer to keep my VMs on a native file system, but if using NTFS works better for you, then use what works better.

Be careful though with host macOS updates and test the tuxera drivers after an update first with a slightly less important VM.

Another thing to note about running VMs from an external disk is that you should keep good backups (Not Time Machine! ) of your VMs as an accidental disconnect between host and external disk might corrupt the VM. FWIW, I also ran VMs from an external SSD for years without any corruption problems, but it is good to be aware of any potential pitfalls.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

hrz01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your patience and detailed instructions. I will change it to APFS to see if it works or not.

Haoran

0 Kudos