VMware Communities
fusionbeta
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Another Fusion 10.0.0 'internal error' (not mks.enableMTLRenderer)

I had a perfectly working VMware Fusion Pro 8.5.8 installation on OS X 10.12.6. I saw the notice to upgrade to Fusion 10.0.0 (wise of VMware not to go with Fusion 'X').

I have two VMs, CentOS 6.9 and CentOS 7.3 both are configured for no 3D graphics acceleration.

Problem: Upgraded to VMware Fusion Pro 10.0.0 and chose 30 day trial. Attempting to start either VM results in 'Internal error'. Upgraded one VM to hw v14, same result. Downgraded VMware Fusion to 8.5.8 and rebooted, same result starting the VMs: 'Internal error'

I have manually removed all VMware artifacts (Library, ~/Library, Cache, /Library/Application Support, ~/Library/Application Support and Preferences) for each of 8.5.8 and 10.0.0. Same result starting the VMs: 'Internal error'

The vmware.log is not getting overwritten, it has the results of the last clean shutdown of these VMs.

I have tried adding mks.enableMTLRenderer config to the VMX files with no luck.

Hardware Info:

Model Identifier:MacBookPro11,3
  Processor Name:Intel Core i7
  Processor Speed:2.3 GHz
  Number of Processors:1
  Total Number of Cores:4
  L2 Cache (per Core):256 KB
  L3 Cache:6 MB
  Memory:16 GB
  Boot ROM Version:MBP112.0138.B40

Help?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi fusionbeta,

Would you please try with the following steps and see if it helps:

1) Manually removed Fusion completely and then executed the below commands in Terminal window on Mac Host:

xattr -l ~/Downloads/VMware-Fusion-10.0.0-6665085.dmg

xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine ~/Downloads/VMware-Fusion-10.0.0-6665085.dmg

2) Reinstalled VMware Fusion from the dmg file.

Sorry for any inconveniences,

Regards,

-Rick

View solution in original post

13 Replies
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi fusionbeta,

Would you please try with the following steps and see if it helps:

1) Manually removed Fusion completely and then executed the below commands in Terminal window on Mac Host:

xattr -l ~/Downloads/VMware-Fusion-10.0.0-6665085.dmg

xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine ~/Downloads/VMware-Fusion-10.0.0-6665085.dmg

2) Reinstalled VMware Fusion from the dmg file.

Sorry for any inconveniences,

Regards,

-Rick

turnbull
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This worked for me.

0 Kudos
fusionbeta
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. I will try reinstalling Fusion 10 tomorrow. I did ssh into my machine remotely and ran those commands in Terminal.

I did see a "com.apple.quarantine" section in the xattr -l output and it was removed by xattr -dr. I'll report back with the results.

Thanks

0 Kudos
fusionbeta
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks RickShu​ that fixed it completely.

Can VMware consider a slightly better, more descriptive message than 'Internal error'? That would really help, I suggest a shortened URL reference to a KB article.

Off to 'play' with VMware Fusion 10.

0 Kudos
itegypt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I got he same issue I upgraded to 10 and I'm getting this error whenever I start any of my VMs? so I:

uninstall/reinstall same error

tried the commands above same error

I just uninstalled it and reinstall 10.1 same error

Thanks

0 Kudos
Gideon007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What helped me was to shut down Fusion and then moving the Fusion app somewhere else and then back into /applications but you have to do it with Finder (not any other file manager). Then start Fusion again and it *should* mention that you need to allow its kexts in OS X' security options. Go to "System Preferences"-> "Security and Privacy" and it should be there.

The reason for that is another security thing of OS X that sees apps in /applications not moved there through Finder as another security risk and will execute them in a sandbox which won't trigger the kexts.

itegypt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

FINALLY, Thank You!!!

0 Kudos
mpdharley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried this, but it did not help.  However, I also have the VMware app was blocked from loading stuck in Security/Privacy.  Clicking allow does not do anything and uninstalling/reinstalling also does not remove the "warning".

I appreciate any suggestions. 

The error I am getting is Unable to connect to peer process.

Thank you,

Mike

0 Kudos
clotfy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfectly solved the issue. thank you

0 Kudos
grdh20
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Still error opening any virtual machine in any of the recent High Sierra 10.13.1 or betas after that. Latest VMware version installed.

0 Kudos
Lenonking9
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM client ->setting->compatibility->Adanced options->choose 12/13/14

0 Kudos
mjmclain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This worked great! Thanks for it.

0 Kudos
carrera
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same problem, no usb new external HDD recognized?

I am running on 10.1.6

Old harddisk is recognized in VM and works, new HDD ( different models) not recognized??? I am still working on windows XP, as i used only for an accounting program which can not be updated to windows 2000......It only works under XP

Please help

0 Kudos