VMware Communities
marklee2005
Contributor
Contributor

Annoyingly Windows Start Menu Pops Up when Using Command-Tab

I have been using various version of both Fusion and Parallels to run a Win XP virtual machine and I like Fusion better in most regards. There is one annoying behavior in Fusion that I can't seem to get rid of. I frequently have a need to bounce back and forth between my VM and an OS X program with the keyboard. I prefer to run my VM in its own Window rather than in Unity. I use Command-Tab to toggle back and forth between my programs and invariably the Windows Start Menu is activated when I make the toggle. This causes the program I am using in Windows to lose the focus and I have to either click in it or hit the Command key alone to hide the Start Menu. This has been consistent in all versions of Fusion including the 2.0 beta which I am running now. If I very s l o w l y and deliberately press the Command key, pause, and then hit the Tab key, carefully release the Tab key before releasing the command key this doesn't happen but of course that defeats the whole purpose of fast task-switching. I don't have this problem at all in Parallels no matter how quick I do my keypresses. I know this is a minor deal in the scheme of things but can anybody give me a solution?

Mark

0 Kudos
5 Replies
themandril
Contributor
Contributor

Agreed! This the THE MOST ANNOYING think about Fusion. Anybody? Any ideas how to stop this?

0 Kudos
bbarnhart
Contributor
Contributor

You can turn on key mappings under Preferences. Then map the 'Windows' key or the command key to 'shift' Now, when you do a command-tab, the start window does not pop up. I never use the start buttom or windows button, so not having it anymore is not a problem for me.

0 Kudos
Piggy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree - this is extremely annoying. I have to admit the idea of remapping the key just never occurred to me. Remapping to 'shift' is a brilliant solution!! Someone put this in the FAQ!!

Also I found this but didn't try it.

0 Kudos
bbarnhart
Contributor
Contributor

Outlook uses the 'Start' key to select text?

Mapping the 'Start' key to the 'Shift' key just gives you an extra 'Shift' key. 'Shift' still does what it's supposed too.

Another solution is to make the 'Command' key to the 'Alt' key and the 'Option' key to the 'Start' key. That woud fix everything and the layout is even the same.

0 Kudos
Piggy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I revised my posting after your reply so this will make no sense to anyone reading it. Sorry about the confusion!

0 Kudos