VMware Communities
InflatableMouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Annoyance & VT

Aloha,

Very few thing really annoy me but the VM settings screen is surely one of them. Why does it ask to save with every change I make instead of silently save it in memory and when I'm done and click OK or Apply save all settings at once? All the zillion programs in the world work that way why does Fusion have to be different?

I'm also wondering about VT. I own a Mac Pro with Xeons. They suppport 64bit and VT. Does Fusion fully support it? Would Leopard (being 64bit) change things? I'm wondering because Workstation 6 under Vista x64 worked so much faster (litterally twice as fast; I benchmarked it several times).

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'm also wondering about VT. I own a Mac Pro with

Xeons. They suppport 64bit and VT. Does Fusion fully

support it? Would Leopard (being 64bit) change

things? I'm wondering because Workstation 6 under

Vista x64 worked so much faster (litterally twice as

fast; I benchmarked it several times).

Fusion supports 64-bit and VT, although for 32-bit virtual machines VT is disabled by default because VMware has found the current implementation to be slower[/url] for common workloads. I double Leopard would change this.

0 Kudos
InflatableMouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OKe, I'll give x64 a shot. I've only tried 32bit under fusion not realizing that would make a difference.

0 Kudos
InflatableMouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hehe vista x64 is another 20% slower.

I'm reinstalling xp 32bit using bootcamp and use it as a vm when I don't need the speed etc and reboot when I do but I sincerely hope we'll see some more optimization.

Message was edited by:

InflatableMouse

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

hehe vista x64 is another 20% slower.

How much RAM are you giving it? I don't run Vista, but I hear it really wants 768MB or 1GB to be happy (of course, your Mac has to be able to support that, so it'll probably need 2GB).

0 Kudos
InflatableMouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vista VM has 512MB but that wasn't different from the times I used it under workstation 6.

I'm really short on memory right now (1GB) but that will change this week. I have 8GB on order.

But I made a mistake comparing speeds. The Vm has 2 virtual CPU's, the machine is a dual duo-core xeon. I know that's obvious but I'm not used to having 4 cores - I just got this machine ... sorry for the fuss guys.

Any chance the way the VM settings screen works is going to change? Am I the only one who finds that annoying?

0 Kudos