VMware Communities
clegasse
Contributor
Contributor

An XP VM locks an Active Directory account - a weird tale

I've been having a weird problem using VMWare Fusion 3.1.3 running on OS X 10.6 and 10.7 on a Windows network, I've been investigating this complex issue for a while and I'm running out of ideas on how to fix this.  Since other VMWare Fusion users out there may have had this problem, this forum seems a good place to post this following problem.

The setup: I created a Windows XP VM in order to access my Outlook e-mails on the client's network (Exchange 2003 server, not supported by Outlook 2011 for Mac, therefore need to use Outlook 2007 for Windows).  The network uses a vintage ISA proxy to access the Internet, unsure of the exact version.  I'm not logging into the domain, goal here is to access e-mails only.  No Webmail is available.  As for Fusion, it is configured to share the Mac's network connection (NAT).

What works: Mac OS X by itself can access the Internet through the proxy without problems, although I initially discovered that the OS X Time Syncing process is not compatible with the ISA proxy and lock the Windows network account.  Disabling time syncing solved this particular issue.

What doesn't work: When I start my Windows XP VM and open Outlook 2007, it prompts me for the password but the Windows account gets locked out automatically, just like if I tried 5 times for enter a wrong password.  I tried disabling time syncing in Windows, but no effect. 

Truth be told, I don't know if a particular Fusion config is at fault, if an XP setup within the VM is to blame or something else (like me).  Experimenting can be fun, but locking my Windows account 5 times a day and having to call the internal help desk each time is a real pain, and they are totally clueless about VMWare issues.

Anyone else had a similar experience ?  Thanks in advance.

Chris

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert

In Exchange 2007,  I beleive this is a setting on the account itself.   Something like allow non domain members to use this account?

I have to investigate it some though,  my memory is fuzzy on it for sure.

0 Kudos
clegasse
Contributor
Contributor

The Exchange 2003 server used here allows non-domain users to access their e-mails, all consultants like myself do not log into the domain.

0 Kudos
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert

Interesting.    The symptom is exactly what it does here when I don't have that box checked on the Exchange server itself.    Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
clegasse
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think the issue here is one the Exchange 2003 server side, since all consultants using XP or Windows 7 can access their e-mails, and none of them experienced the "automatic account lock".  Since I'm the only one using Mac OS X with VMWware, no one on the floor can give me a hint.

What is weird is that the Exchange account gets locked the minute I launch Outlook 2007 in my XP VM and enter the right password, as if some background process tried to authenticate over and over again until the account gets locked out.  I'm thinking maybe Fusion is accessing the Internet without checking first with Apple Keychain to see if there's a proxy password.

0 Kudos