VMware Communities
GUGAPAL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Allocating space to a virtual HD

Hello folks,

I run a windows XP virtual machine in  a VMware Fusion 5.0.3, on an iMac running Mavericks.

The disk original size was 20 GB and I had no difficulty to enlarge it to 40 GB. My understanding from the instructions was that virtual machine would automatically re-sizes on first boot, but that didn't happen.

I did what additional instructions said, reached Disk Management and then double-clicked it to see the partitions and there clearly appear (C:) showing the original 19.99 GB, plus the 20.01 GB enlargement, but with the information it isn't allocated . Continuing to follow instructions, when I right click the original partition to expand it, the  Extend Volume option doesn't show. Does anybody can tell how to  do on a situation as such?

I am attaching here pictures showing the instructions I followed and and the Disk Management window. Language is Portuguese and "nao alocado" means "not allocated"

Thanks in advance for nay help

Paulo

28 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

It seems like that these newer system rescue cd images are getting confused by a buslogic scsi driver (at least that is my hunch for the moment, while I can troubleshoot that further, it might require quite a few steps to explain and make it behave and even then I would not be convinced it to work well)

As I have extended disks from Windows XP in this way in the past, I looked over my physical CDs with sysreccd on there and found what I must have used at the time.

So downloaded it fresh and tested here with the Windows XP guest that I have down here and yes that version behaved the way it should be.

So please download the following image from system rescue cd to use with your Windows XP guest. It should not give the strange errors and "just work".

https://sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd/files/sysresccd-x86/4.2.0/systemrescuecd-x86-4.2.0.i...

It's a bit older, but that matches with the OS as Windows XP is a bit older too.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
GUGAPAL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Wil,

Sorry I didn't return earlier, but it was a lack of time problem. I'll do as per your suggestion and give you a feed back ASAP.

By all these discussions, it seems to me you are an expert on VMware Fusion and please forgive me, but I will take advantage of that. Despite effectively wanting to increase my VM HD size, my main purpose is to upgrade from OSX Mavericks to OSX Sierra. I know that to continue to use a VM, I will need to go to VMware Fusion version 8.5.  I have been looking at Apple communities and saw people saying it works, as well as saw people saying they are facing problems. I would appreciate if you could advise on:

i) Based on your experience would VMware Fusion 8.5 run well on Sierra?

ii) I don't want to buy an updated Windows version. Could I run a XP VM with VMware Fusion 8.5 on Sierra?

iii) When I upgraded from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, I just copied my VM to the new environment and it worked perfectly. Would that be possible with VMware Fusion 8.5 and Sierra?

Thanks and regards    Paulo

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

For a product with this many users there's always reports in the forums of the product of people that bump into issues.

In principle Fusion 8.5 runs fine on macOS Sierra. But you are of course restricted by your host hardware.

If the host you plan to install macOS Sierra on is getting old then it is possible that running Sierra+Fusion won't run well.

Basically you need enough resources. An important resources is CPU, quad core or more is preferred, on a dual core processor it might help a bit if you have multiple threads.

For memory (RAM) I'd say that you need 8 GB at minimum.

For disk preferably a fast one, SSD is great, SATA disk can work, but you can't run a lot of VMs simultaneously without it becoming slow.

Windows XP runs on Sierra without issues. Just don't connect it to the internet as it is wildly outdated by now ( just 2 more weeks before Vista is out of support too!)

Copying your VM would work just fine.

Beware not to rely on Time Machine for backups of VMs as you might loose the VM in that case.

Just copy the full VM to an external disk before you start your upgrade and copy it back to your machine when you are done.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
GUGAPAL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Wil,

Generally speaking and based on what you say, regarding resources,  I believe with my machine, the upgrade to Sierra and the use of VMware Fusion 8.5 will work well. Please see attached my iMac characteristics.

What I'll  do is to follow your previous guidance in relation to increasing the VM HD space, and then upgrade to Sierra and buy VMware Fusion 8.5.

I'll let you know the results

Once more thanks a lot for all this help

Regards    Paulo

Hardware Overview.png  Storage details.png

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

Yes that hardware is fine, nice machine.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
GUGAPAL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Wil,

My purpose with this message is just to thank you for the big help.

By time limitation, I wasn't able yet to do the Sierra upgrade, nor follow your guidance in relation to the VM HD.  I will try during the next week end

Regards   Paulo

GUGAPAL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Wil,

I was able to upgrade to VMware Fusion 8.5, copied my VM and is working properly. I still couldn't do what you suggested to try to enlarge the VM disk space, but anyway I deleted some things and the 20 GB are OK.

What is happening differently from what happened before the upgrade, is that although VMware Tools is active and I have both Drag and Drop,  as well as Copy and Paste enabled on the VM Library, I am not being able to move things between the two monitors I work with, when VMware Fusion is running. Would you have a suggestion?

I will try to upgrade to Sierra this week end

Thanks and regards    Paulo

Drag & drop.png

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Not sure if your issue is only with drag and drop between two monitors, or also when you use the VM in windowed mode?

If the latter also has the same issue then it seems like somehow VMware Tools isn't properly running.

An uninstall vmware tools - reboot guest - reinstall vmware tools - reboot guest, normally fixes that.

--

Wil

GUGAPAL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Wil,

Problem solved.  Thanks again

Now is to find time to upgrade to sierra and try to enlarge the VM HD

Regards   Paulo

0 Kudos