VMware Communities
vlasimsky
Contributor
Contributor

Allocate more than 8Gb Memory to VMWare Fusion?

I have 32Gb installed on my Mac Pro and would like to use more than 8Gb.  Is there a way to get VMWare to address larger memory footprints?  Any plans in the future to increase the limit?

I have Snow Leopard installed with Windows 7 installed in my bootcamp partition.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have 32Gb installed on my Mac Pro and would like to use more than 8Gb.  Is there a way to get VMWare to address larger memory footprints?

No.

From the VMware Fusion Help File under Virtual Hardware Specifications.

Memory

■  Up to 8GB, depending on your Mac's available memory, virtual machine hardware version, and guest operating system support

■  Total memory available for all virtual machines is limited only by the amount of memory on the Mac

Any plans in the future to increase the limit?

VMware does not openly discuss questions such as this as it's against their policy so you'll just have to wait and see if/when it becomes a new feature.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

8 GB is the maximum you can assign to a VM. see Re: Assigning more the 8GB of Ram to a Image

André

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
vlasimsky
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reponses.  It is not necessarily what I wanted to hear.  Not sure why an artificial limit like that is set in the VM, as Windows 7 is capable of addressing a larger memory footprint.

It precludes one from using VMWare Fusion for what I wanted it for--to crunch large databases.  Anyone else have the same issue, reply to this posting.  Maybe VMware will listen.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I believe Parallels Desktop for Mac and VirtualBox have the same 8GB limit as well.

0 Kudos
creteroyal
Contributor
Contributor

I hope this limit will be increased in the nearest future.

car rental crete

0 Kudos