Contributor

Alfa awus036nh not detected by VMware fusion

Hello,

I am having an issue with my USB wireless card. My system is:

- Host OS: MAC OSX 10.7 Lion

- Guest OS: Backtrack 5 r2 KDE 64 bits

- Virtual Machine: VMware Fusion 4.1.3

- USB Wireless Card: Alfa awus036nh

The card works perfectly on OS X, so I am able to connect to my network.

But when I have my VM Fusion running and then plug my USB wireless card, it doesn't show up on VMware at all.

The other usb devices works perfectly, when pluged there is the windows that appears asking where I want to connect. But this is not the case for the Alfa card.

Please, does anyone ever encounter this problem or has a solution?

Thanks,

Wiguy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Wiguy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi WoodyZ,

Thank you for your support.

I followed the link you sent to me and still not having the card to work.

What I noticed is that if I have the card pluged on the computer and then start VM, the device is listed in the Virtual Machine. Then if I go on USB option I can see " Connect Ralink 802.11 n Wlan".

If I select Connect, the virtual machine hangs and the attached crash report is provided.

Thanks,

Wiguy

0 Kudos
krydman
Contributor
Contributor

That particular problem is solved by removing the Ralink driver / application frorm OS X. The card then shows up, is recognized in ifconfig, and properly identified in airmon-ng, even goes into monitor mode... but doesn't see anything. Nothing. Haven't found a solution to this.

0 Kudos
pmktek
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I'm wondering if you have found a solution to this issue? My experience is the same where Backtrack recognises the Alfa card, but it fails to find networks, or on some occasions does find networks but stops functioning correctly after a time.

Thx, Pat

0 Kudos
krydman
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, no. It is definitely a Fusion issue tho. I installed to usb and used rEFIt to boot my MBP 13, and all works as expected. I suspect a driver, but haven't bothered to continue to troubleshoot the issue further.

Kerry

0 Kudos