VMware Communities
s0lution123
Contributor
Contributor

AirPlay can't connect to device for sound mirroring when Fusion is running

Hello,

on my Macbook Pro I can't connect to any AirPlay devices for sound mirroring output when Fusion is running. Is this a known issue? AirPlay is trying to connect for a while and ends up with a message saying that it can't connect to the target device. If I start Fusion after the AirPlay connection is successfully established, AirPlay will continue to work. If I switch the sound output back to internal speakers and try to connect the AirPlay device it will fail again.

macOs Monterey 2.2.1
Fusion 12.2.3

69 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

No, that's unusual.   What's the guest and is it NAT or bridged (and are you running a VPN in it or on the host?)

0 Kudos
stdhsftjstrdfh
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having this issue too.

I've been able to isolate the issue to VMware, because I recently reinstalled macOS, and I tested AirPlay immediately before and after installing VMware Fusion. It worked perfectly beforehand, but after installing VMware Fusion, Airplay no longer works when VMware is running. I noticed my Mac is able to detect AirPlay devices on the local network, but it is unable to successfully stream audio to any of them after VMware Fusion is installed. Fully exiting VMware Fusion restores the ability to stream audio.

No other changes were made to the macOS system between the working and non-working states aside from installing and running VMware Fusion. No custom virtual network settings were added or modified, and no additional networking hardware, aside from the Mac's built-in WiFi card, were installed or in use.

VMware Fusion Pro 12.2.3 (19436697)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
macOS 12.4

logopk
Contributor
Contributor

Let me add a MEEEE TOOO.

Found this out with Apple Support as they suggested to run my M1Pro in protected mode - which worked.

Right after restart it worked too, but once I started Fusion, it's no longer connecting.

Devices are discovered but sound streaming to my Apple TV4k or the Sonos is not working.

Monitor mirroring to AppleTV works.

MacOS Monterey 12.4
MacBook Pro (14", 2021)
VMWare Fusion Professional Version e.x.p (19431034) M1 Preview

frtoledo
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue. At first I thought the problem was due to two network interfaces being used at my imac: ethernet and wifi. Eventually I isolated the issue to Fusion. I don't even have to fire a VM, just opening Fusion is enough to airplay stop working. I will give parallels a try.

0 Kudos
PH-NL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Due to other issues, I had to upgrade to MacOS Monterey and discovered that Airplay is not working. This happens on 3 (!) Intel Mac mini's 2018. I opened a ticket with VMWARE expecting this to be a known issue. However, I am not getting past first line support who is making me do all kind of weird things that do not lead to a solution (like removing a network card from a VM and then try airplay again). 

I noticed that the problem with AirPlay does occur with VMWARE Fusion versions more recent than v12.1.2 You do not need to run a VM, just run VMWARE Fusion. 

Did anybody got any further with this issue ? Did anybody enter a support ticket ? Even in the last technical preview of the forthcomming Fusion version it is till broken. 

I am puzzled that such an obvious issue is present. 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@PH-NL wrote:

I opened a ticket with VMWARE expecting this to be a known issue. However, I am not getting past first line support who is making me do all kind of weird things that do not lead to a solution (like removing a network card from a VM and then try airplay again). 

In a prior life, when I found that a front-line tech was incapable of moving a support case in a positive direction, I’d either be asking for an escalation or a supervisor. Especially if I was paying for support. I believe VMware does have an escalation process.

Have you tried this with the 22H2 Tech Preview to see if any symptoms have changed?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
logopk
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm that Tech Preview 20486664 does NOT help.

0 Kudos
PH-NL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As I wrote, even in the latest tech review the issue is clearly there. As soon as VMWARE Fusion tech review is launched Airplay fails completely. 

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

There's something unique about your setup - mine works perfect.

Are you in bridged or NAT mode?  Do you have any networking software/firewalls/etc on the host?  What kind of access point are you connecting to?

0 Kudos
PH-NL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@ColoradoMarmot: thank you very much for your reply as it indicates that it might be hardware related. May I ask what version of Monterey and VMWARE Fusion you are running ? 

To answer your questions : 
I do not need to run a VM, just launching VMWARE Fusion with version > 12.1.2 breaks Airplay, closing down VMWARE Fusion and Airplay works.  I do have on the host Little Snitch running, nothing else. And I am always using bridged networking and connecting to a regular consumer WIFI/modem/router. I have been using VMWARE Fusion since version 1.

I have also installed MacOS Monterey 12.6 today on an external disk and verified Airplay is working. Than installed VMWARE 12.2.4 and have the exact same issue : Start VMWARE and Airplay fails, close down VMWARE and Airplay works. 

I am using Mac mini's 2018 purchased in 2018, 2020 and 2021 all with i7 and 32GB. 

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

So just launching Fusion causes it (even with no guest)?

Something is definitely wrong - I've never seen that behavior (and like you, been here since 1.0), and run little snitch myself.  Have you tried a full manual uninstall of Fusion and reinstall?  It sounds like maybe something in the network stack is messed up.

0 Kudos
Chrisknightmn
Contributor
Contributor

I’ve had this issue since Monterey

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Really odd.  I'd try the full uninstall/reinstall of fusion (and make sure you're on the latest rev).

I might understand it if happened when running a guest, especially in bridged mode, but it's just odd.  

0 Kudos
PH-NL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just a quick note that it seems my support case is getting more attention at VMWARE. Let me repeat here that I have 3x mac mini all exhibiting the same behavior : start VMWARE Fusion and Airplay does not work (no need to run a VM), shut down VMWARE and Airplay works. I have installed Monterey clean and the issue is there straight away. Downgrade VMWARE Fusion to v12.1.2 and you are all-right. 

I would also like to add that I suspect Apple more than VMWARE. macOS Monterey is a headache for me (coming from Catalina). 

0 Kudos
logopk
Contributor
Contributor

I can add that the SONOS APP does not expose this behavior.
it can connect to SONOS :One when VMWare is running.

Apple Music cannot.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Just had another thought triggered by a comment in another thread.

What subnet are you using for your network?  A standard 192.168.1.x or 10.0.0.x?  

0 Kudos
PH-NL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi : dlhotka. I am using subnet 192.168.1.x
VMWARE also made me try this with the latest version 13 but the same issue persist. 

0 Kudos
rgarreton
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having this same issue >< Did you find a solution?

0 Kudos
PH-NL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The immediate solution is to downgrade to v12.1.2 .
Officially, VMWARE is still investigating the case but after a month I have received no response. All my Mac computers (mini, laptop, etc.) exhibit the exact same issue.

0 Kudos