VMware Communities
akron5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After upgrading to VMware Fusion 11.5 on macOS Catalina, I can't see my vm Win10 shared folders any more from MacOS host

I have some folders on the vm Windows 10 guest that are shared.

On my previous version of VMware Fusion I could just use MacOS -> Finder -> Go -> Connect To Server -> and use "smb;//[WindowsMachineName]/[sharedFolderName] -> Connect

And then I would be able to see that Windows shared folder on my MacOS host, as /Volumes/[sharedFolderName]

Since upgrading to macOS Catalina, and to VMware Fusion 11.5, I haven't been able to connect to the shared folders from MacOS (even though I can see they're setup ok within Windows)

I have tried reinstalling VMware Tools, rebooting the host (MacOS), rebooting the guest (Win10), disabling firewalls, and granting "Full Disk Access" to VMware Fusion (MacOS -> System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> 'Accessibility' / 'Full Disk Access' / 'Files & Folders' / 'Automation' all granted to VMware Fusion

I really need to get this working again, as I relied on this setup for my day-to-day workflow checking in source code. Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bfan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Can you try to connect with VM ip? It works for me without giving Full Disk Access and Files and Folders permission to Fusion

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bfan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Can you try to connect with VM ip? It works for me without giving Full Disk Access and Files and Folders permission to Fusion

0 Kudos
akron5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. Using the VM's IP enabled me to connect to the Win10-guest shared folder from MacOS-host.

I've marked this as the correct answer, because it solved the issue, although I hope very much that VMWare reads this, and includes a fix in a VMWare Fusion 11.5.x update so the PC name can be used too, as it was before (especially if the VM's IP changes from time to time after reboots, etc.).

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

PMJI, user bfan who gave you this workaround works for vmware Smiley Wink you can see that as the user has the little "vm" icon by their name.

FWIW, accessing a smb share by IP instead of by DNS name means that NTLM is used. If accessing via DNS then kerberos gets used instead.

Yet another reason for wanting to access the share by DNS name.

If name resolution works, then another thing to check is if the clock in the guest is the same as your host (too large of a clock skew and kerberos won't like it)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos