VMware Communities
madlinguist
Contributor
Contributor

After Mac crash, unable to open virtual disk, Error: "The file specified is not a virtual disk".

I was running VMWare Fusion 4.1.4 with OS X 10.9.3. While working on the Mac side, the computer froze up and I was unable to quit the applications that were running, so I had to do a hard restart. Once the computer rebooted, I tried to run VMWare Fusion, but I got the error "The file specified is not a virtual disk." The same error occurs when trying to restore snapshots.

I did some Google searches and someone recommended opening the vmx file in the Text Editor to make sure the file name was not pointing to a slice.

The vmx file says:

scsi0:0.fileName = "Windows Vista x64 Edition-000003.vmdk"

Also I noticed the file "Windows Vista x64 Edition-000003.vmdk" is only 7 KB in size.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .zip file (or .tgz file if pre-version 6) it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

Note: Use the "Use advanced editor" link in the upper right corner of the normal reply window to bring up the Advanced Editor where you'll be able to attach files via the Choose File button or Browse button (depending on the Browser) above the Post Message button! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos