VMware Communities
noguchif
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After I installed 11.5.5 my external USB drives show up in MacOS and I CONNECT them to VMWare; however, they do not show in my Windows 10 Pro VM. Any hints? Thanks! Fernando

Before 11.5.5, I could easily connect my WD My Passport (I have several) HDDs to MacOS and them "acquire" them on VMWare Fusion Windows 10 VMs (I also have several). After upgrading, I can still see the drives on MacOS and "Connect" them to VMWare. They do not show up in Windows Explorer like they used to though. Any ideas of what's happened? Thanks! Fernando

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AngryJedi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have the same exact issue.  I also already have the usb.generic.keepStreamsEnabled = "FALSE" setting set in my VMX file from before (which I needed).

When I downgrade to 11.5.0 or 11.5.3, it works again.  There is something wrong with 11.5.5 and it's broken.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This thread could be helpful: I've recently upgraded to VMware Fusion 11.5 (required due to an OS upgrade on Mac, Catalina) and I'...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi noguchif,

It would be helpful if you can collect a Fusion Support Bundle from "Help > Collect Support Information". It would be good to enable USB Verbose logging before reproducing the issue. You can do that from "Virtual Machine > Settings > Advanced > Enabled Verbose USB Debugging".

The support bundle is large so it would probably be best to upload it to VMware's FTP. Check out the "Uploading through the FTP portal using your web browser" section in VMware Knowledge Base . You can name the directory in FTP, say, community+yourID.

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
noguchif
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Rick, in order to upload the package I need to have a support case opened, correct? I no longer have a valid support contract or, at least, VMWare.com doesn't show one.

I can, of course, collect the bundle as described. But please let me know how to upload it.

Thanks!

Fernando

0 Kudos
AngryJedi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have the same exact issue.  I also already have the usb.generic.keepStreamsEnabled = "FALSE" setting set in my VMX file from before (which I needed).

When I downgrade to 11.5.0 or 11.5.3, it works again.  There is something wrong with 11.5.5 and it's broken.

0 Kudos
KamenGopin84
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi noguchif​,

You do not need a support case to upload the bundle. You can upload it to VMware's FTP. Check out the "Uploading through the FTP portal using your web browser" section in VMware Knowledge Base . You can name the directory in FTP, say, community+yourID.

0 Kudos