After Fusion 11.5.0 upgrade, no usb devices recognized

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hollistonma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Solved:

Followed the instructions below from VMWare support.

1. Ensure the Virtual Machine is shut down and VMware Fusion is not running (quit).

2. Under Documents, look for Virtual Machine Folder.

3. You will see Windows 10 64.

4. Right click on Windows vm and select Show package content.

5. Look for Windows 10 6

4. .VMX (not VMXF).

7.Now you can right click on the file and select open with Text Edit.

8.Scroll all the way down to the bottom and add the below lines.

9. usb.generic.keepStreamsEnabled = "FALSE"10. Click on file from the top left menu and select Save.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
23 Replies
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
CaliDuck916
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I solved by adding VMWare Fusion to Full Disk Access in Security and Privacy > Privacy for macOS 10.14.6

jianbomao
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The steps documented in the link above "Solved: USB devices no longer recognised on VMWare Fusion 10" worked in Fusion 11.5.0 as well.

You just need to leave the VMWare Fusion open but not started. Then go to Mac /System Preferences / Security & Privacy / General. Open the lock and click on "Allow". Need to restart the VMWare Fusion afterwar

Screenshot 2019-10-27 at 21.45.31.png

Warren99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a similar problem and the solutions presented don't work. I do not get any error message saying anything is blocked, nor does full access help. I did manage to get my USB sticks recognized by switching the settings within Fusion to USB 2.0, rebooting and then flipping back to USB 3.0. My external SSD harddrive does not get recognized. Getting frustrating as I've been in contact with VMware for over a week, made arrangements for callbacks twice, and both times nobody called.

0 Kudos
CaliDuck916
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Try removing/re-adding the PPPC settings

0 Kudos
Warren99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What does PPPC mean?

0 Kudos
CaliDuck916
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry - that's a sys admin acronym for Privacy Preferences Policy Control.

System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy

There should be a VMWare entry under Accessibility. Try removing/re-adding there.

0 Kudos
Warren99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't help

0 Kudos
KajCh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Look at FedEX-20 solution. Solved my problems with Catalina and Fusion 11.5.0
Re: USB devices not able to connect to VM fusion since update to 11 pro and mac mojave

0 Kudos
Warren99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had VMware support look at the issue and they were able to fix the problem by connecting to my computer. Something about the usb drivers not updating properly in the latest update. They were surprised the issue arose. 

0 Kudos
henryec33
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

And a  very Happy New Year to you.   The screengrab made the task  simple enough for even me.    Oh the joys of having my old USB devices working again in the VM.

0 Kudos
TonyKirkham
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same issue. I upgraded to Catalina and found issues with the operation of VMware 10. Upgraded to 11.5.1, solved those issues. I have found USB access does not function with Fusion 11.5.1, to be specific, Ubuntu Guest and ext3 format USB key. I'd really like to hear VMware's response to this issue. This stuff should be basic. I did see the previous solution from Fedex(?) but would prefer to see a response from VMware about tis significant defect.

0 Kudos
ShaneB50
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Agreed.

It should not be necessary to uninstall and re-install VMWare and run terminal code just to access a USB drive.

Clearly time for 11.5.2.

guile21c
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In my case, disabling System Integrity Protection worked

csrutil disable in terminal and reboot

0 Kudos
hollistonma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I like(d) Fusion when I first started using it about 10 years ago on my MBP to run Windows.  I never liked how it (didn't) handled USB devices.  I have tried to use several different USB portable drives in a Windows 10 VM under Fusion 11.5.3 but Windows will either not recognize the drive or if it does, it doesn't show up in File Explorer.  An older Canon scanner connected vis USB works just fine.

I have checked and unchecked VMWare permissions in the MBP's System Preferences, removed/reinstalled the USB driver using VMWare Tool multiple times.

The best I've been able to do is to avoid the "The device "device name" was unable to connect to its ideal host controller" message.

Any help on getting the drive (which shows up in the Devices and Printer:

pastedImage_1.png

with the following information:

pastedImage_2.png

would be appreciated.  The USB drive is a Seagate drive formatted as MS-DOS? FAT by MBP.  (I've also tried exFAT formatting but that didn't help either.)

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

0 Kudos
hollistonma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Solved:

Followed the instructions below from VMWare support.

1. Ensure the Virtual Machine is shut down and VMware Fusion is not running (quit).

2. Under Documents, look for Virtual Machine Folder.

3. You will see Windows 10 64.

4. Right click on Windows vm and select Show package content.

5. Look for Windows 10 6

4. .VMX (not VMXF).

7.Now you can right click on the file and select open with Text Edit.

8.Scroll all the way down to the bottom and add the below lines.

9. usb.generic.keepStreamsEnabled = "FALSE"10. Click on file from the top left menu and select Save.

0 Kudos
theali3n
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Honestly this is becoming a joke. Everything working, then update and BOOM USB functionality dead and requires a hack ( that has not worked for me ).

With many people complaining of the same/similar issue, how could this not be something found in QA process before a release of a sub-version.

I've spent hours trying to get this working again and then gave up and mounted the drive I needed through "file share" and then subst in windows to get a drive letter so I could continue to work.

I've been using Fusion for YEARS and of late this has been a disaster.

Same issue caused me to update OSX version months ago to see if that was the issue which it wasn't. I want to be able to mount my USB devices like I should be able to and is supposed to be supported.

Who's issue is this ? VMwares, OSX or running win10 as a guest ? 

0 Kudos
Warren99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem again after this update 11.5.5. Fusion is calling me in a day to fix. In the meantime, I downgraded back to 11.5.3 and it works

Frustrating !!!

KamenGopin84
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi theali3n,

Would you be so kind to collect a Fusion Support Bundle which demonstrates the issue.

1) Enable USB Verbose logging from "Virtual Machine > Settings > Advanced > Enabled Verbose USB Debugging"

2) Reproduce the issue one more time

2) Generate a Support Bundle from "Help > Collect Support Information".

3) Upload the Support Bundle from VMware's FTP portal using  (see VMware Knowledge Base ). You can name the directory in FTP: community619463.

0 Kudos