VMware Communities
mitties
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Advice on migrating / upgrading

I've got Windows 2000 with Fusion 2.0 on my mac. (no bootcamp).

Want to upgrade to fusion 3 to be able to run windows 7.

This could wind up being rather complex due to the fact that windows 2000

will need to be deleted. (How do I do that?)

Should I upgrade to fusion 3 first, ( or fresh install of fusion) then attempt to

delete windows 2000? (not sure how to do that).

I'm told that I could just do the upgrade from windows 2000 to Windows 7 but that

Windows 7 will request the original Windows 2000 disk. ( I'm good with that) but I'm not sure if

Fusion will work with that. Maybe I should buy the full windows 7 and avoid the prospect of this not working?

Got any advice for me?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Fusion 3 uses a different serial number model then Fusion 2 does and it doesn't matter from an installation standpoint since the .dmg you're going to download if a fully functional full release. When you go to purchase Fusion 3 as an upgrade you'll need your Fusion 2 serial number to get the discount. (If the upgrade discount is still available that is.) However get a Free 30 Day Trial Serial Number and test drive before you buy! Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You delete a Virtual Machine just like any of file or folder in OS X. How to delete a Virtual Machine is covered in the VMware Fusion Help File.

I'd uninstall VMware Fusion 2.x with its uninstaller and then install Fusion 3.x however if you install Fusion with a previous version installed it will uninstall it before installing the current version you're installing from the .dmg you downloaded.

Windows 2000 and XP are not directly upgradeable to Windows 7 so just walk through the New Virtual Machine Assistant selecting the version of Windows 7 you're using and if you're using upgrade media then use the information in "[Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media|http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp]" to install/activate it. I've used Method 2 successfully.

You can delete the Windows 2000 or XP Virtual Machine after you've backed up your user data and have Windows 7 up and running unless you don't have enough room to have both. Just ctr-click the target Virtual Machine on the Virtual Machine Library and select Delete.

mitties
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Woodyz....Thanks for your helpful reply.

You wrote "I'd uninstall VMware Fusion 2.x with its uninstaller and then install Fusion 3.x however if you install Fusion with a previous version installed it will uninstall it before installing the current version you're installing from the .dmg you downloaded."

If I uninstall Fusion 2.x (ok I'm up for that), then what happens to the Windows 2000 installation that currently exists?

Thanks again for your reply. It helps.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If I uninstall Fusion 2.x (ok I'm up for that), then what happens to the Windows 2000 installation that currently exists?

Nothing happens to is because it is separate and apart from VMware Fusion the application just like, as an example, a Word document you created isn't deleted if you uninstall Microsoft Word. So a Virtual Machine is, if you will, the document created by Fusion and uninstalling/reinstalling does not remove the Virtual Machines created by it.

mitties
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi woodyz:

Thanks again.

That clears up a lot of misconceptions that I have about Fusion.

So, I have the original fusion 2.0, I uninstall it.

Then since I'm upgrading to 3.0 fusion, how does that work?

Won't there be a problem recognizing that it's an upgrade?

If so, should I elect to purchase a new license for fusion 3.0?

I'm facing a similar but much bigger decision with going from Windows 2000 to Windows 7.

Thanks again for your replies.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

While Fusion 2 was a free upgrade for Fusion 1 users unfortunately Fusion 3 is not a free upgrade and you can download VMware Fusion (for the Mac) and get a free 30 day trial serial number before you purchase it to make sure it works for you and that you're happy with it.

0 Kudos
mitties
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodyZ:

I got that.

If I uninstall version 2.0.....and install 3.0.....how will the software recognize that I'm on a upgrade path rather than

operating under a new license?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Fusion 3 uses a different serial number model then Fusion 2 does and it doesn't matter from an installation standpoint since the .dmg you're going to download if a fully functional full release. When you go to purchase Fusion 3 as an upgrade you'll need your Fusion 2 serial number to get the discount. (If the upgrade discount is still available that is.) However get a Free 30 Day Trial Serial Number and test drive before you buy! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mitties
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey WoodyZ:

Thanks for all you answers.

I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
mitties
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey WoodyZ:

Just wanted you to know that I upgraded to Fusion 3X. (downloaded upgrade)

I didn't bother to uninstall Fusion 2.x due to the fact that the

installation material said I didn't have to do that.

I had the activation code sent by email and copy and pasted it into the window when prompted and all

went smoothly.

I also investigated the virtual library and see how to delete my old windows 2000 operating system after I get windows 7 running.

So far so good.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I didn't bother to uninstall Fusion 2.x due to the fact that the installation material said I didn't have to do that.

While I'm not going to get into the details/reasons why, however as a professional I always manually uninstall a previous version before installing the latest version and I typically suggest the same although I did also say to you previously "...however if you install Fusion with a previous version installed it will uninstall it before installing the current version you're installing from the .dmg you downloaded." so it's fine that you did it the way you did but just so you know Fusion 2 was uninstalled by the installer in Fusion 3 before it was installed. Smiley Wink

I also investigated the virtual library and see how to delete my old windows 2000 operating system after I get windows 7 running.

Don't forget to make sure you have your user data backed up off of the Virtual Machine before you delete it. Smiley Wink

Thanks for your help.

You're welcome and glad things went smooth for you.

0 Kudos