VMware Communities
anitag
Contributor
Contributor

Adesso USB keypad on MacBook Pro

The keypad works fine within OS X, but it isn't recognized by the WindowsXP Pro virtual machine. Is there a way to get this to work correctly?

Windows log attached.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The keypad works fine within OS X, but it isn't recognized by the WindowsXP Pro virtual machine.

Can you be more specific? Is it that Widows doesn't recognize the device (e.g. it doesn't appear in the Device Manager), or that pressing buttons doesn't do anything? These are slightly different issues.

If it's the first, my guess would be the keypad is a HID-type, which Fusion screens by default to prevent you from accidentally connecting your keyboard/mouse to the guest. I would wonder why you need to connect it to the guest directly, though.

If it's the second, is number lock on in the guest? Do non-numeric keys work?

0 Kudos
anitag
Contributor
Contributor

My lovely laptop does not have a separate 10-key. I'm trying to use the Adesso USB numeric keypad because I'm anaccountant. My accounting software runs under Windows.I believe that it is an HID. It worked the first time I plugged it in (before updating to OS X 5.2 and Fusion 1.1.1,) andnever worked/showed up afterward.It works perfectly in OS X.It does not show up in the Windows Device Manager.Even with NumLock on in the guest, it is still not recognized, although the guest will recognize the keys as cursor keyswith NumLock off in the guest. With NumLock on, the guest ignores the number keys, although the other keys continueto work. Is there a setting to force Fusion to recognize my 10-key? (It works as a plug-and-play on other Windows machines.)I'd appreciate any help you could give me. Thank you,AnitaAnita> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 07:38:05 -0700> From: communities-emailer@vmware.com> To: anitagoldberg@msn.com> Subject: New message: "Adesso USB keypad on MacBook Pro" > > ,> > A new message was posted in the thread "Adesso USB keypad on MacBook Pro":> > http://communities.vmware.com/message/882302>; > Author : etung> Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/etung>; Message:

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Some people have had to enable numlock in Windows via the on-screen keyboard to get their number pads to work, maybe give that a try?

If you're willing to give up the number pad in OS X, a workaround would be to tell Fusion to allow HID-class USB devices to be connected to the guest, see for how to do this.

0 Kudos
egiroux
Contributor
Contributor

Have you resolved this problem? I believe I have the same symptoms: keypad cursor position keys responded to in the Virtual Machine, but not the numbers. Further, I would prefer to have the keypad available on both the Mac side and the VM side....

0 Kudos