VMware Communities
Custa
Contributor
Contributor

Activation process for a Bootcamp partition

No matter what I do, I cannot get my Windows to stay activated in VMWare. I have activated it in bootcamp but as soon as i run the bootcamp partition as a vmware machine it tells me I am non genuine and resets the timer. Please tell me this is possible and I will plonk down some cash and say bye to Parallels forever(which handles this situation gracefully) The RC feels very speedy and will end up being peoples VM app of choice at this rate on Mac OS.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

No matter what I do, I cannot get my Windows to stay

activated in VMWare. I have activated it in bootcamp

but as soon as i run the bootcamp partition as a

vmware machine it tells me I am non genuine and

resets the timer. Please tell me this is possible and

I will plonk down some cash and say bye to Parallels

forever(which handles this situation gracefully) The

RC feels very speedy and will end up being peoples VM

app of choice at this rate on Mac OS.

Is this Windows XP or Windows Vista? Only Windows XP is officially supported including activation at this time.

Assuming VMware Tools are installed in the Boot Camp virtual machine, you will need to activate once in each direction (physical and virtual) after installation. Once you activate once in the virtual environment, you should not be prompted again unless you change the virtual hardware to the Boot Camp VM.

If this is Windows Vista, activating only once in each direction is not possible today. It is something we will be looking at for a future release of VMware Fusion as we can't slip in a complex feature at the last minute.

Best,

Pat

0 Kudos
Custa
Contributor
Contributor

This is under XP. Do I just ring Microsoft when it asks for the key and go through the normal hoops to get a new one. In Parallels they somehow do it so that Bootcamp and Parallels have the same key and no reactivation is required. This would be much nicer if it worked this same way. It is the only thing that has be umming and ahhing to make the switch.

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This is under XP. Do I just ring Microsoft when it

asks for the key and go through the normal hoops to

get a new one. In Parallels they somehow do it so

that Bootcamp and Parallels have the same key and no

reactivation is required. This would be much nicer if

it worked this same way. It is the only thing that

has be umming and ahhing to make the switch.

Once you install VMware Tools on Windows XP only, you should only have to activate the one additional time in a virtual machine since it is new hardware. You should then never have to activate again unless you change the physical or virtual hardware on your machine.

You have to legally activate the virtual machine since it is new hardware, but you should now be able to switch back and forth without problems in this case.

On my home machine when I have switched motherboards, the online reactivation worked. However, it depends on how many times you have done it.

Pat

0 Kudos