VMware Communities
tan234
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Accidentally deleted Mac Partition while installing windows on VMware fusion

While I was trying to install Windows 10 on VMware fusion 8 on my Macbook Pro operating on macos Sierra, I created a new partition when they asked me where I wanted to install Windows on. So it was initially "Drive 0 unallocated space" and when I created the new partition it became "Drive 0 Partition System Reserved" and "Drive 0 Partition 2". However, I accidentally deleted "Drive 0 Partition System Reserved" and now it became "Drive 0 unallocated space" and "Drive 0 Partition 1" as shown in the image below. I was worried that I may have accidentally deleted something important and would like to clarify or seek help on how to restore it. Because even after closing the setup and opening it again it does not go back to just the unallocated space. I have yet to click next because I heard that if I do so it will permanently delete some important data. Please help! Thank you! Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 3.46.09 PM.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

If this is in a virtual machine then you cannot delete a Mac Partition, the windows installer has no access to any real hard disk space. It only gets access to a virtual disk, which in reality is just a file on your mac.

If you want to get back to "Drive 0 unallocated space" then just press delete. You don't need to create a new partition, the installer will partition the disk on your behalf.

In short, you can't delete anything that is relevant. This is a new virtual machine with no data so far.

Hope this helps clarifying things, if not then just ask,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

If this is in a virtual machine then you cannot delete a Mac Partition, the windows installer has no access to any real hard disk space. It only gets access to a virtual disk, which in reality is just a file on your mac.

If you want to get back to "Drive 0 unallocated space" then just press delete. You don't need to create a new partition, the installer will partition the disk on your behalf.

In short, you can't delete anything that is relevant. This is a new virtual machine with no data so far.

Hope this helps clarifying things, if not then just ask,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
tan234
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ohh I see! Thank you! So whatever partition I create or delete on the virtual machine while installing windows will not affect any files I currently have on my Mac right? Still a little worried because when I click delete "Drive 0 Partition 1" the pop up said that it might contain important files or apps from the computer manufacturer and data stored in it will be deleted.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

That's correct. The virtual machine world is isolated from your normal Mac world.

The message the installer shows is only for if you have a physical computer like a Dell/HP/... where the manufacturer uses a hidden partition to store pre-installed software. Not something you have to worry about.

--

Wil

tan234
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok thank you!!! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos