VMware Communities
BoomBoomB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Accessing shared folders within Ubuntu from Mac host

I have an external drive formatted as EXT4 which I connect to my ubuntu VM (12.10) runnign on Fusion 5.0.2 . Everything works perfectly until I started trying to access the hard drive from outside ubuntu (from host Mac OSX).  Since Mac cannot directly read EXT4 format, I connect the drive to ubuntu and then I have setup Samba to share the drive.  I know there are milion how to on how to share folders on the host (Mac) into VM, but what I need is the other way around, How to access the share drive in Ubuntu from Mac.  I know  the hard way which is I have to reconfigure VM networking to be on the same subnet as the Mac and then I can access it but is there any config file tweaks (vmx file) that I can do to access VM shares from the host OS?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Accessing a shared resource of a Virtual Machine is no different then accessing a shared resource of a Physical Machine so act accordingly! Smiley Wink

Have a look at: Finder > Help > Connecting to shared computers and servers using a network address (Or similar depending on OS X version.)

Then, however you have the Virtual Machine's Network Adapter configured, use the appropriate IP Address of Guest OS to access it.  Doesn't matter whether you have it configured the default NAT (Share with my Mac) or using Host Only (Private to my Mac) or Bridged if applicable, you should be able to access the shared resource while providing the proper credentials, where/when applicable. (I can, I have no problem regardless of the type network as I use them all.)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Accessing a shared resource of a Virtual Machine is no different then accessing a shared resource of a Physical Machine so act accordingly! Smiley Wink

Have a look at: Finder > Help > Connecting to shared computers and servers using a network address (Or similar depending on OS X version.)

Then, however you have the Virtual Machine's Network Adapter configured, use the appropriate IP Address of Guest OS to access it.  Doesn't matter whether you have it configured the default NAT (Share with my Mac) or using Host Only (Private to my Mac) or Bridged if applicable, you should be able to access the shared resource while providing the proper credentials, where/when applicable. (I can, I have no problem regardless of the type network as I use them all.)

0 Kudos